Bulkhead Question

speer

Struggling some to determine the appropriate size bulkhead for two pre-drilled holes in my tank. One hole is 1 7/8" and after doing some research looks like a 1" Schedule 80 bulkhead is the appropriate size. My real problem is the other hole is drilled at 1 1/4" in diameter. A half inch bulkhead seems to be a little too small and the 3/4" bulkhead seems to be a hair too big. I've checked the Schedule 80 options as well but they seem to be too big as well. Thoughts? Anyone else encounter this problem?

Hmm. I don't know what would use a 1.25 inch hole. Most tanks come with 1.75 and 1.5 inch holes for 1 inch and 3/4 inch bulkheads. Looks like a standard 1/2 inch bulkhead should work, it lists a 1.125 inch hole, I don't think the extra .125 would cause any problems with it sealing.

Try the schedule 40 bulkheads and see if you can get some that fit better. For a fish tank a schedule 40 should be fine.

Hmm. I don't know what would use a 1.25 inch hole. Most tanks come with 1.75 and 1.5 inch holes for 1 inch and 3/4 inch bulkheads. Looks like a standard 1/2 inch bulkhead should work, it lists a 1.125 inch hole, I don't think the extra .125 would cause any problems with it sealing.

I was thinking this as well but wasn't sure. I guess I could install it and water test for a few days in the garage to see if there is a leak.

I have a 150 that was drilled for sch. 80 bulkheads but I had sch. 40 on hand and used them. They were a little small but they sealed just fine and it has been almost two years and not one leak. Until I post this anyway. lol

Back