bulkhead/refugium question.

d1greenfish

Hi, I want to add a upstream 'fuge to to my 20 gallon non-drilled tank. I will be using a 5.5gal tank for this purpose and putting some live rock, chaeto and the heater in it. My questions are:

1) How much of DT volume should I aim to pass through the fuge/hour?

2) I already have a 1" bulkhead I want to use for this. Is there any problems with that? Is it too big for the 5.5 tank?

Thanks!

The 1" bulkhead should be fine , just put a valve in line from the main to the fuge so you can control the flow thru the fuge , I have a seperate fuge that is about 25 gallons with live rock , live sand and chaeto/callurpa mixed .
I don't have a heater in mine as mine is directly fed from my return so the water going thru it is the same temp as my sump and tank I have it dumping back into my main sump its a simple loop with a valve that is closed a little better than half way
I'm sure there are many differant ways to go about this but this is just how I have mine hooked up and it works very well for me

The 1" bulkhead should be fine , just put a valve in line from the main to the fuge so you can control the flow thru the fuge , I have a seperate fuge that is about 25 gallons with live rock , live sand and chaeto/callurpa mixed .
I don't have a heater in mine as mine is directly fed from my return so the water going thru it is the same temp as my sump and tank I have it dumping back into my main sump its a simple loop with a valve that is closed a little better than half way
I'm sure there are many differant ways to go about this but this is just how I have mine hooked up and it works very well for me

The general rule of thumb is 5-8 times your display tank size should be your flow through the refugium, so for your tank 100-160 GPH.

Back