Bulkheads?

Hello,
I was wondering what I am supposed to put on the bulkheads for installation. Do you guys put silicone around the hole and then install the bulkheads or is there nothing between the bulkhead and glass?

Thank you,
Christine

The proper method is as follows:

All surfaces should be clean and dry, with the gasket on the flange side of the bulkhead regardless of whether the flange is on the wet or dry side. (IME, they are usually on the wet side). Tighten to hand tight plus 1/4 to 1/2 turn more. Do not use a wrench unless absolutely necessary. Some people do not have the hand size or strength to get it quite tight enough. You will over tighten the bulkhead and it will either leak or crack the tank. (Don't ask how I know this) It is that simple.

If you must, a very slight coating of plumbers grease (silicone grease) can be used on the gasket. Just enough to make it shiny - no globs.

HTH

The flange side is the side opposite the nut (think like a nut and bolt - the flange side is the bolt)

HTH

I've been a plumber since 2000 and never heard silicone being called plumbers grease..never even heard anything being called plumbers grease..LOL

Gandolfe - go to HD/Lowes - look next to the pvc glue - round white container about the diameter of a silver dollar - I have two containers - both say silicone plumbers grease.

I've been a plumber since 2000 and never heard silicone being called plumbers grease..never even heard anything being called plumbers grease..LOL

probably sold by the same company that brings you
1000ft rolls of "Flight line" and 50 gallon drums of "pneumatic fluid" ;)

Back