Bursting my bubble

Skydvwolfe

Like the name of the forum implies I am new to saltwater. I have been fishkeeping for more than 15 years, though. My recent residence in Japan has been more than a challenge to my fishkeeping ability. I can't go to a local pet store and grab any filter or powerhead. I am severly limited on fish as well. I have the greatest amount of patience when it comes to the hobby, but my newfound patience with the postal service is demanding to say the least. I am not lying when I say a pair of 17000k bulbs took almost a month to arrive. I have to order almost all my equipment.
When I posted about a dying anemone I was looking for confirmation that was I was doing all that could be done after an anemone loses a fight with a powerhead.
Sunday I was ecstatic that the survivng anemone had split. This was met not with congratulations but all the suggestions of what I was doing wrong.
C'mon!! Why was it necessary to burst my bubble?
I can get on a gamer page if I want to be put down with the rest of the noobs.

as i stated i wasn't tring to burst your bubble in this thread http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1358747

but you were asking for help and i gave you my opinion anemones don't always split when they are happy they also split due to bad water. but the way your zoas were reaching out for light(and zoas are usually very less light demanding than anemones) i just suggested you don't have enough light to sustain an anemone.

i understand it can be hard getting in equipment where you are at but that also shouldn't mean to try and keep animals your not ready for.

again sorry if i am sounding harsh like i said it is just my opinion

Unfortunately, hard realities hit in any hobby or endeavor. I always HATE to hear all the naysayers. But more often than not they are trying to help. But I also think that some people, after a time get a very big head on their shoulders. For instance, in my line of work as a childcare provider, there are a certain sector of people that spend much of their waking hours looking online for younger, less experienced or non-traditional providers to bash in any way they can. They even have started whole forums/websites just to publicly bash providers of all kinds. I've been practicing my trade for 21 years now and still have some upity know it alls try and tell me how to do things. Imagine having someone that's been doing daycare for like 5 minutes tell me how it's done!

Myself, in my own field of expertise, I do everything in my power to steer younger competitors in the right direction and be positive with them. But let's face it, this hobby is a bit different. What we do with these tanks is often life or death.

Just try and take it all in stride. And don't feel bad about the anemone getting in the powerhead. One of my snails just did the same thing today and I thought this was just a weak little powerhead that couldn't suck anything up.

Suzi

Suzi

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12232568#post12232568 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku
as i stated i wasn't tring to burst your bubble in this thread http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1358747

but you were asking for help and i gave you my opinion anemones don't always split when they are happy they also split due to bad water. but the way your zoas were reaching out for light(and zoas are usually very less light demanding than anemones) i just suggested you don't have enough light to sustain an anemone.

i understand it can be hard getting in equipment where you are at but that also shouldn't mean to try and keep animals your not ready for.

again sorry if i am sounding harsh like i said it is just my opinion

I had to join the forum just to throw in my two cents. First of all I looked at Skydvwolfe's post that you referred to and I can't seem to find where she was asking for help or opinions. She just seemed happy with what she perceived was happening in her tank. Is this the way it always is here? We noobs show up and are excited about something and then the regulars swoop in and **** on peoples corn flakes? Dude, we get it, you know more about saltwater than we noobs do. But you need to learn a better way of "helping". After the responses that she got here I can't say that I would ever ask you for anything. I guess what I'm trying to say is that tact can go a longer way in winning you respect than to try to be the forum know-it-all. Sorry if I am sounding harsh... it's just MY opinion.

Thank you Artie that is what I was trying to get across. Kau-Cinta actually offered assistance after I had already recieved "advice" I hadn't asked for. I was just so excited that fate shined on me by "replacing" an anemone in such an unusual way.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12234294#post12234294 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Artie Lange
I had to join the forum just to throw in my two cents. First of all I looked at Skydvwolfe's post that you referred to and I can't seem to find where she was asking for help or opinions. She just seemed happy with what she perceived was happening in her tank. Is this the way it always is here? We noobs show up and are excited about something and then the regulars swoop in and **** on peoples corn flakes? Dude, we get it, you know more about saltwater than we noobs do. But you need to learn a better way of "helping". After the responses that she got here I can't say that I would ever ask you for anything. I guess what I'm trying to say is that tact can go a longer way in winning you respect than to try to be the forum know-it-all. Sorry if I am sounding harsh... it's just MY opinion.

The lack of tact you're seeing comes from the concern people have about the animals. While it's wonderful that people are interested in the hobby, the mistakes made are not just about losing money or having to buy new equipment, it's about the animals that are hurt in the process. No one seemed to be that harsh in the other thread, the OP(original poster) was excited about something that really wasn't a good indication of health and given how old anemones live in the wild (decades at least) it's awfully depressing to see one die becuase the owner was uninformed in keeping one properly.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12234310#post12234310 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Skydvwolfe
Thank you Artie that is what I was trying to get across. Kau-Cinta actually offered assistance after I had already recieved "advice" I hadn't asked for. I was just so excited that fate shined on me by "replacing" an anemone in such an unusual way.

I'm sorry you feel that your bubble was burst, but really I'm surprised you were not aware that splitting can be a sign of stress and sickness. It's splitting becuase it feels death is near and it's a last chance attempt to keep it's genetics alive.

Reef central is a place for wonderful information and honestly you cannot create a thread without expecting some critique, after all, people are just trying to help you learn more about the hobby and prevent you from making any mistakes others have already experienced. The collective community here is a valuable resource and you should embrace their comments on your setup not take offense.

Ditto what ludnix said. Kau_cinta's advice was being given in a positive manner and to someone I honestly believe he didn't think knew some of things he was advising on. You say it wasn't asked for, but I'm sure kau figured you didn't KNOW about the potential for anemone splitting due to stress, so you wouldn't know to ask about that particular topic. He was just offerring info to you as an FYI, because most newbies really want to find out information that is helpful to maintaining the good health of the animals in their care. Often times if this info is not offered up voluntarily without being asked for, you find newbies asking why the heck nobody told them that this or that would happen when they were first setting things up. I didn't see kau cinta putting anyone down, just making accurate observations and suggestions to try and help the situation.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12234373#post12234373 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ludnix
the OP(original poster) was excited about something that really wasn't a good indication of health and given how old anemones live in the wild (decades at least) it's awfully depressing to see one die becuase the owner was uninformed in keeping one properly.

I'm sorry you feel that your bubble was burst, but really I'm surprised you were not aware that splitting can be a sign of stress and sickness. It's splitting becuase it feels death is near and it's a last chance attempt to keep it's genetics alive.

The collective community here is a valuable resource and you should embrace their comments on your setup not take offense.

First from what I read, the first anemone didn't die because of the poster being uninformed. From what I read it died as a result of being sucked into the PH. From my experience a dead anemone can foul a tank in no time, possibly poisoning everything in the tank as quick as overnight. It seems to me from reading her posts that maybe the death of the first anemone might have been what started this chain of events. Sometimes animal's injuries are too much to recover from, it happens to people too. They hang on barely surviving as long as you take care of them and then they still end up not making it. It happens, don't feel too bad. Actually I also owe kau_cinta_ku an appology, I got him confused with another poster in the thread that was actually busting her chops. Now, that said, though it is true that BTAs will split when stressed they will also split when everything is right. She said that the BTA was recovering nicely after the bleaching. If it was recovering nicely then I assume that it is showing great signs of recovery? Color coming back? Thriving? So that would lead me to think that it wasn't stress but instead doing well enough to warrant reproduction. But what do I know. For that matter what do any of you know about it since you're not there with her? Reading her profile tells me that she's not a total newbie to fish so I'm sure she has some clue as to things going on in her tank. Maybe not an expert but you have to start somewhere. As for the "we're concerned about the animals" stuff... You were all noobs at some point so don't tell me that you didn't kill some fish in the beginning. As cold as it may sound, sometimes you have to break a few eggs....
So let's some of us get off of our high horses.
:rolleye1:

Back