Butterflies that eat Aptasia

SaltyK

Which butter fliy fish are known to eat aptasia? I have heard the copperband but are there any others?

Some others are, but none are guaranteed. Your better off looking at a peppermint shrimp :)

Two peppermints cleaned my 58 in a couple of days. I only had a couple of large anenomes but lots of small ones. I did the large ones with a syringe and white vinegar. I havent seen any in 3 weeks. I've got my fingers crossed. Good luck! I have heard that even Peps will nibble at softies. So far no problems.

I have too many predators (brittlestars etc) and no lasting success with peppermint. Tried the berghia and did not work, probably for the same reason. now I have a Copperband in my quarantine tank and I am hopeful. He was all over my aptesia rock that I gave him as an appetizer.

It is a total crap shoot with butterflys and peppermints. I have had both (many times) and neither one is completely effective or guaranteed.

Butterflies can be an extremely difficult fish to keep for most people, even those with a lot of aiptasia. If you get one that eats it, it will most likely die from starvation once its gone as you struggle to find a food it will eat.

As far as Peps, you may end up with ornamental shrimp that dont touch the stuff just like I have had so many times.

thanks for all the info. I have had a bear of a time with aiptasia and the weekly injections is starting to get old.

Back