Buy coral food or make it?

ReefsandGeeks

When I decided to do coral I got a small bottle of oyster feast. I still have a few weeks worth, but it's kind of expencive for such a small bottle, and I'm not sure if it's the best thing I can be using. Would it be better to do a DIY coral food in a blender, or buy coral food from a LFS or online? I've never given my coral anything byt the oyster feast so I don't know how any other foods would compare. They do all seem to eat the oysterfeast. I've also seen dry coral food? at least it seems like a powder to me. Is that any good? can it be spot fed? I perfer to spot feed, but occasionaly brodcast feed my tank if I'm feeling lazy.

Although I amtrying to save money, coral food lasts a long time, so if buying the refrigerated food is better I will stick with that.

Making food small enough for SPS would be fairly tricky, the rest it would be easy enough to grind up seafood and freeze. Perhaps adding some of the smallest micron golden pearls to that would be a nice and fairly complete coral food.

I was looking at frozen seafood at a local grocery store and saw a realy good deal on a frozen variety pack that would be perfect to make coral food. Only problem is it's pre-cooked. Was curious how much of a problem this would be if I got it, or if anyone else has tried it. If it woun't work I'll just have to get a variety of fresh seafood in small amounts. All the other frozen stuff was a bigger bag of a single fish, rather than a variety and I have no need for that much coral food.

Back