buying a phosban reactor

directions

directions

in the directions for phosban it explains how you lower the flow till the water coming out has no phosphates all donewith the ball valve
I have a phosphate filter I made and a charcoal filter I made they run in line without clamps and the exiting water is clean with no phosphates

Thanks a lot for the repsonses everyone. I will buy a phosban reactor 150, no clamps, extension kit (just in case) 1/2" vinyl tubing with a maxi jet 600. I know the maxi jet 600 sounds a bit like overkill but I feel I dont really need to get another powerhead If I already have a spare I can use.

- Although a maxi jet 600 is pretty strong, there shouldn't be any problems because of the flow rate valve, right?

Thanks for the help.

I use clamps. I am always nervous. If something can go wrong, it will... that's my philosophy. I am always nervous about my overflow, threaded fittings, and hose barbs. I keep a close eye on all.

MJ600 is too strong for this. You'd def need a ball valve. I have actually tee'd my return and put a ball valve on it.... thus no extra pumps.

-A

I use a MJ 600 on a double reactor setup and I have to crank the valve WAAY back. The resistence is so much it makes the powerhead buzz. I keep meaning to get a MJ400 or minijet, but always find more interesting things to spend my money on at the LFS. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12240546#post12240546 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mappelbaum37
- Although a maxi jet 600 is pretty strong, there shouldn't be any problems because of the flow rate valve, right?
I believe that this reactor comes with a ball valve. I am using mine with an MJ1200 ('cause that's what I had lying around) and have it throttled back. No problems.

I do not have clamps on mine.

Also, you will not need the extension kit unless you're planning on hooking the reactor to another reactor (or like device).

I go at 10 gph or less. The ultimate here is to test phos at the output of the reactor and see what it is. dial back the pressure until the reading is very low or zero. Even with that, as the water passes the media -- high flow or not, bag or not -- the phosphate will come out with time. It all depends on your patience :)

Good thread...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12255061#post12255061 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jimwat

Also, you will not need the extension kit unless you're planning on hooking the reactor to another reactor (or like device).

I didn't even know you could hook one phosban reactor up to another. I was thinking of buying a second reactor later on to hold carbon in because I hate my fluval, because it always spits out micro bubbles, non-stop. Does anyone know if I would be able to hook up one reactor with phosban to another with carbon?

Thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12275454#post12275454 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mappelbaum37
I didn't even know you could hook one phosban reactor up to another. I was thinking of buying a second reactor later on to hold carbon in because I hate my fluval, because it always spits out micro bubbles, non-stop. Does anyone know if I would be able to hook up one reactor with phosban to another with carbon?

Thanks
Easy! Just use the adapter to connect the OUT side of one reactor with the IN side on the other. I've heard of several people hooking up their reactors with phosban and carbon. I've been thinking about doing something similar using three reactors for GFO, Ozone, and GAC.

I think the 3/4" limitation is not just the screw, but the actual bracket that hangs on your tank. If you have a large lip, it won't hang.

I use a nylon/plastic hose clamp where my powerhead connects to the tubing. If your powerhead is stronger than needed and you're dialing it down with the ball valve, you're running some risk of blowing that tube off the power head. Not a huge risk -- and not much of a big deal at all if the powerhead output is pointing horizontally. But if it's pointing vertically, it could shoot out of your tank or sump if it blows the tubing off. I don't otherwise use hose clamps, because the flow on the otherside of my ball valve is so minimal.

Back