buying a phosban reactor

Mappelbaum37

I want to buy a phosban reactor. From what I read on this site, two little fishies seems like a good one to buy. I was told to put GFO into it. I don't really know if there's a difference between phosban and GFO, but if anyone knows, what I should put in the reactor and how much, that would be great... Also the rim of my tank is 1" and I was told the reactor will only work if its hanging on the back of the tank with a rim of 3/4". I was thinking of either mounting it to a wall or buying an extension kit... Which one should I do?

thanks...

Just thought up of some more questions before I finalize my purchase.

1) I'm hooking the reactor up to a maxi jet 600. Will 1/2" vinyl tubing fit ok?
2) Do I need clamps to hold the tubing to the reactor/ powerhead?
3) Do I put the phosphate media in a bag, or straight into the reactor?
5) The tubing goes onto both the output and intake of the reactor, or only the intake?
6) If the reactor hangs on the back with tubing attached to it, why does it need an extension kit for tanks with a rim over 3/4"?
7) I was told to adjust the flow rate to 80 gph. How can I tell when it is going 80 gph?

Thank you

1. 1/2" tubing is what they use.
2. nope. fits nice and tight.
3. straight in. and purge it in a bucket to soak it and bleed off the dust.
4. no 4. skip to 5
5. input from the pump, output back to tank or sump
6. because that's the maximum the little leveling screw on the bottom rim can go
7. Judge it by sight. You want the surface of the media to look like a pot of water just before it comes to a full boil-- a bunch of small, gentle "eruptions" at the surface.

"6. because that's the maximum the little leveling screw on the bottom rim can go"-seapug

I dont really understand...

I forgot to ask. Will I need 2 extension kits? 1 for the output and one for the intake or will one pack cover em both?

thanks again

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12229575#post12229575 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bebo77
add what the package/ directions tells you.. also run carbon...

NOOOOOO!!!

Seriously, start slow... add much less and work up. I killed almost all of my sps by starting to run Warner Marine Phosar in a phosban reactor when I'd previously had it in a bag in my overflow. Just be sure not to make my mistake, start with less and work up!

-A

TLF recoments using a MJ400 (which flow about 100gph) and dial it down with the ball-valve.
I run the MJ400 on mine and works great for me.

if you have the option to choose id go with the MJ400 since it uses less power. (and its less over-kill). mind you the MJ600 will wrk just as good.
my 0.02

I spoke to someone at drsfostersmith.com today and they said to put the phosban in a bag and then put it into the reactor. Seapug has told me otherwise. Do I put the phosban in a bag or no? Also marinedepot.com told me I need 2 extension kits for the intake and output, but drsfostersmith told me 1 extension kit is good for both the intake and output...

Any help? these are my only problems before I order everything..

thank you

putting it in a bag would defeat the purpose. I'm surprised DFS gave that advice. You must have spoke to the only employee there that didn't know what they were talking about.

Just read the instructions when you get the unit.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12239007#post12239007 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seapug
putting it in a bag would defeat the purpose. I'm surprised DFS gave that advice. You must have spoke to the only employee there that didn't know what they were talking about.

Just read the instructions when you get the unit.

Dido, Don't put it in a bag. The water will just go around the bag.

So somebody, and everybody else by their silence, is suggesting no hose clamps?? How tight they fit really has nothing to do with it. OR is it b/c the flow is just so low? What I see is... water being pumped out of the sump... with NO fail-safe other than when you run out water to cause a flood with... through a hose to the reactor that is located OUTSIDE the sump. You guys are recommending no clamps?

The unit comes with good directions. Just read those. It comes with a ball valve. I think it's like 1gram/1gallon so figure that out when you're buying some Phosban. Usually you'll change it every 3 months or so too. There was an article comparing Phosban and Rowaphos and they performed the same .. except Rowa cost a lot more.

Recommended flow is 20-30 gph. So you'll want something just a little bigger that you can throttle down with the ball valve. $10-$20 pump. I've seen that 80-100 gph too. Maybe that's the size recommended but you probably valve it down to 20-30. The directions say 20-30. But in the end you have to eyeball it and look for the slight surface agitation.

Never use a media bag in the reactor.. and never try to mix Phosban with Carbon.

Haven't hooked mine up yet but I bought the extension kit just in case I needed it. Some reviews on MarineDepot said you wouldn't need it. It's just plumbing parts you can get at HD or LOWES anyway.

Connections are 1/2".

i didnt read the rest of the posts, just figured i'd give me two cents. I run two, one with phosban and one with rowaphos. Ocassionally, i will run carbon in one. They're awesome

i didnt read the rest of the posts, just figured i'd give my two cents. I run two, one with phosban and one with rowaphos. Ocassionally, i will run carbon in one. They're awesome

I run two linked together....the first one contains phosban and theen I run carbon in the other..I dont use any hose clamps.

Back