Buying Live Rock Online

Marcorocks.com. Have bought dry rock from them and they were outstanding. They sent nice pieces plus a little extra due to breakage. Also, when you purchase live rock online and get it shipped, remember a third to almost half of the weight is water weight. So you are paying not only the weight of the rock but also water weight (marine rock is very porous). My next system is gonna be pimarily dry base rock and seeded with live rock from a LFS or a very well established/mature pest free( well as pest free as possible) reef tank.

You dont need 1.5 lbs per gallon. Get as much as you like to make a nice looking rock scape. The 1.5-2 lbs per gallon was to help with filtration. With the skimmers and other filters they sell now you can get away with using less rock.

Also the $7.99 rock from RC is just home made rock with coralline algae. I have seen far better natural rock.

I just bought 50# of BRS pukani rock. I told BRS I wanted 3-9 pound rocks.
I received 10 beautiful rocks with not one under 3 lbs and 0 broken rubble pieces. You would swear up and down there's a 100 pounds of rock in my order. It's so light and porous, I will only buy this rock from now on.

I'll get the op some pics. You wouldn't need 150 lbs, more like 100 of this stuff.
Only problem is its not live. However its very dry and you don't pay for water weight.
I received 51 lbs paying for a 45 pound order.

The two rocks are 8.5 pounds total.
The pics are front and back of the same 2 rocks.

Attachments

• IMAG0285-1.jpg
    IMAG0285-1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG0286-1.jpg
    IMAG0286-1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
If I had to pay 7.99 a pound for all my rock I wouldn't be in this hobby either.
I also like to think the coralline covered rock in my display looks just as good without filling the tank with 7.99 a pound rock.

Last edited:
I just bought 50# of BRS pukani rock. I told BRS I wanted 3-9 pound rocks.
I received 10 beautiful rocks with not one under 3 lbs and 0 broken rubble pieces. You would swear up and down there's a 100 pounds of rock in my order. It's so light and porous, I will only buy this rock from now on.

I'll get the op some pics. You wouldn't need 150 lbs, more like 100 of this stuff.
Only problem is its not live. However its very dry and you don't pay for water weight.
I received 51 lbs paying for a 45 pound order.

Interesting. This doesn't sound half bad to me. But, how much did all this cost you?

Interesting. This doesn't sound half bad to me. But, how much did all this cost you?

Glad you asked, I got in on a group guy through this site.
I think it was $3.19 a pound free shipping because i spent over $175
BRS Pukani Dry Eco Aquarium Live Rock 45Pounds $143.55
Check out the pics I added to my recent post on the bottom of the first page.
I got all sweet pieces, if you want more pics let me know.

rocks

rocks

to me the beauty of this hobby is the hunt trying to find the things you need for your reef for the lowest prices dont let anybody discourage you !you dont have to spend alot.just keep looking a couple of summers ago i gave away at least 100 lbs of rock couldnt find anybody that wanted it .now i find myself ordering 100 lbs of dry rock from marcos rock to set up a 300 i figure with what i have in my 150 reef it will seed it self

i have the brs pukani too. its super light/porous, so you get more rock for your money and you can pick up some vanuatu rock from rc to seed it. the vanuatu rock has the same look as pukani, so it will blend in.

I bought my Live Rock and Live Sand from Tampa Bay Saltwater. You gotta check it out, its literally harvested from the Gulf of Mexico and packaged underwater and shipped via the airlines to your airport. When I received mine and put everything into the tank, I had all kinds of snails, crabs (good and bad), urchines, star fish etc.

Tank has been cycling for about 5 days now, still have a pretty big Gorilla Crab thats inside one of the large rocks. Anyway, check them out...

I think the "if it all sounds too expensive maybe you should pick another hobby" is a valid point. It's not ragging, it just is. There are many ways to do saltwater without going whole hog on an expensive tank. I don't get into Ferraris because I know they're too expensive for me. I like my bike instead. People really ought to grow thicker skin sometimes.

That said:

Don't pay $7.99/lb for LR. As mentioned above, get a bunch of dead rock and seed it. Yes, it will take more time, and yes you'll have to be patient with white, then black, then green, and finally beautiful purple rocks, but that's another thing to mention: if you can't be patient, maybe you shouldn't be in this hobby. :)

over a year ago I got ~40lbs from Premium Aquatics, uncured, as seed for a bunch of rock that was formerly live rock. I was really happy with what I got from PA.

Its easier to build your aquascape with the non-live rock too. BRS and Marco seem to make a lot of folks happy with their dry-rock. Watch for a BRS sale.

Theres nothing wrong with being budget minded and making your dollar work its hardest.

Theres nothing wrong with being budget minded and making your dollar work its hardest.

This is very true, but there's a difference between operating on a budget and finding deals and not planning ahead and wondering why everything is so expensive all of a sudden. I started in this hobby on a grad student's salary, so instead of going super huge and wondering how I was going to pay for it, I went small with a 2.5 gallon setup. I think the OP is simply trying to budget effectively in order to pay a reasonable price for things, but the critique of those who fail to recognize the expense of this hobby is a fair one :)

I was very happy with my BRS purchase as well. If you call them just let them know your a member of RC and they will give you the preferred member discount. It's not much but it helps. I ordered 70lbs of the BRS reef saver and then I bought the emarco bonding mortar. There is also a new advertiser here on RC called reef rocks? I think is what it's called and they have pretty smokin prices, plus you get free sand as well. Either way you go I would put dry rock in my tank over $7.99 per lb "live" rock anyday of the week.

Here ya go.. http://reefrocks.net/index.php?opti...se&category_id=1&Itemid=56&vmcchk=1&Itemid=56

SWbrock,
I am a huge proponent of the start dry, then seed process. Fewer pests, you can arrange it/manipulate the shape, etc. It does take patience but whether you are on a budget or have money to burn, patience is always a good saltwater virtue.

I have a very large amount of extra dry/base rock that I continually rotate throughout a 400gal system. I am sure I could help you out and we can work out a price that would work for you. If you are interested let me know and you'd be welcome to come by and look. You of course could see my display and know what it will do in the course of time.

Just PM me if this is of interest to you... Good luck!!

I'm going with Tampa Bay Salterwater rock for my new build because I *WANT* as much living stuff direct from the ocean as possible. Bad, good, nuetral, etc. You basically have 2 choices. Buy dry lace rock then a small cured rock to lacethe dead rock. This way you can ensure no pests but nothing reallly will hitch either you may want. Or, get tbsaltwater rock and get thousands of lifeforms shipped wet, minimize cycling time (no need to cure that rock since its shipped wet). Then don't rush out and BUY anything. Let the rock cycle and grow and the hitchhikers start to show their face so you can catch the badddies and remove.

I have never ever seen 'live' rock that looked live in a store bin. The most it ever seems to have is a duster or two and coraline.

You dont need 1.5 lbs per gallon. Get as much as you like to make a nice looking rock scape. The 1.5-2 lbs per gallon was to help with filtration. With the skimmers and other filters they sell now you can get away with using less rock.

Also the $7.99 rock from RC is just home made rock with coralline algae. I have seen far better natural rock.[/QUOTE

Amen. There are many, many different styles of aquascapes. It boils down to .... to each his own. While that is the beauty of this hobby, if you could envision the direction of your tank, ( sps, fowlr, natural reefscape, etc) I think that would be your best option at this point. Check out the amazing scapes on here, or just your local reefer. I personally enjoy the island scapes, or even the pillar look which is best suited in my opinion for sps, for optimum water flow within your tank to reduce the amount of detritus accumulated. I have seen natural scapes to where it looks as if the hobbyist put the LR without any planning, and just stacked the LR . In my opinion, there is no "right " or "wrong" way to scape, but truly preference... On that note, Reefguy's Pukani is an amazing LR- as for myself, I truly find porous LR and LR that create shelves are a big bonus, while others find joy in big base rocks the size of basketballs. The rule of thumb on the live rock is a good foundation, but...... unnecessary. ( granted you have other filtration) Just my 2 pesos.

Ohhhh yes on CL you can get lot Aptasia free with purchase ... :0)~~

True, but cycle it and then throw a handful of peppermints in there alone for a couple of weeks without feeding them. It's amazing how much aptasia peppermints will eat when they're hungry. :)

Live Rock Scam

Live Rock Scam

:angryfire:I can tell you where not to go. liverockranch.com. out of Miami, Florida. They advertize beautiful rock. I purchased 225 lbs of their "Premium Live Rock", and got 225 lbs of crap base rock. The rock had very little porosity, very heavy, with almost no growth.

Back