Buying Live Rock Online

Here is my take. Stay away from CL rock. You have no idea what the previous owner did to that rock. It could have been in a tank with copper or other meds, ick, it could have come out of a high PO4 or nitrate tank and leach that stuff into your brand new set up. I went with Marco rock for my display as per them it is not taken out of the ocean. I cannot confirm that but that is what they advertise. That meant a lot to me, I think removal of LR from the ocean harms the reef way more than fish collection or coral collection. The rock I got is super clean and did not leach anything I can test for into my tank. I then went to the LFS and other RC members and bought choice pieces of healthy rock and was patient. If you’re not patient then this is the wrong hobby for you.

+1 on the BRS pukani rock. We just got a shipment of it last week. They contacted us to get the tank size and dimensions, and exactly what shapes we were looking for and sent some incredible pieces that worked out perfectly.

The rock that is in my tank is Kallini rock, cant get it anymore they stopped collecting from the area it came from. So I bought it up, $9.99 per lbs. It has grown some really large sponges under it. I got it from About The Reef when they where still open on Price RD where Reef Culture is now. RC is way better to by the way. All rock will go white on you once you cure and cook it anyways so just get whatever you like and can afford.
02-16-08_1718.jpg

corals8-11008.jpg

does any one know of a good site to buy live rock?
any successful purchases you have been pleased with?
looking for something crazy like this

pic_from_mike_nichols_of_gulf_rock.JPG

www.liverockranch.com free shipping, Premium Aquacultured Decorator Rock $3.49#, Dry Rock (hand selected limestone) $1.78#

Go to their site and read their story, makes some sense to me. I'm going to order a couple hundred pounds for a new build. Going to mix 50/50 + rubble for my fuge.

Live rocks

Live rocks

Yeah what I did was bought dry rocks for very cheap and seeded it with a big piece from reef culture. Instead of spending $1200 you could do it for about $150.

:angryfire:
www.liverockranch.com free shipping, Premium Aquacultured Decorator Rock $3.49#, Dry Rock (hand selected limestone) $1.78#

Go to their site and read their story, makes some sense to me. I'm going to order a couple hundred pounds for a new build. Going to mix 50/50 + rubble for my fuge.

Just went back and read the "live rock scam" post! Maybe I better re-think this a little bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have some BRS pukani, very porous. I've been cooking it for months, so it's pest free, and I will throw in some chaeto to kick off the pods for you.

I am guessing I have 80-100lbs some as big as a volleyball, $2 a pound I need to get it out of the house.

Let me know if you're interested. I am in Gilbert.

cl is the spot. you can find great rock for 2.50 that is aptasia free and got plenty of growth and color. there is a guy out in queen creek that has really good live rock cheap. rc $7.99 per pound rock is just regular live rock that has been partially painted.

I got my live rock from a guy down in Maricopa has a ton of Fiji rock fully cured at 2.50 a lb as well if you want his number just message me

I can't remember if I posted earlier in this thread already or not, but tbsaltwater.com is a sponser here, has a 5 acre aquaculture site off the coast of Florida and has millions of pounds of rock sitting in it for about 10 years. It is roughly 5 bucks a pound, is air frieght shipped in water (not just newspaper, minimal die off!) and is really nice. Rock is decently dense but has TONS and TONS of holes through, and around it.

I just had some cleaned base rock shipped and will be ordering my live rock in a month or so from there. Only downside is there is of course risk of bad hitch hikers, but the life on his rock is out of this world. He has his own sponsor forum section here with people posting about their tanks and general experience. The tanks look amazing at day 1 of the rock going in.

Back