Buying Live Rock Online

swBrock

does any one know of a good site to buy live rock?
any successful purchases you have been pleased with?
looking for something crazy like this

pic_from_mike_nichols_of_gulf_rock.JPG

If $7.99 per lb rock is too expensive for you, perhaps Saltwater fish is not the Hobby you should be in?

If you enjoy ragging on people for not being able to afford the most expensive rock PERHAPS you should keep your ridiculous opinions to yourself and not discourage the OP from trying out this hobby. It shouldn't be your business or of your concern if they can afford it or not.

1.5 lbs of live rock is suggested per gallon
i have a 100g tank
(1.5 lbs x 100g)= 150lbs of rock
(150 x 7.99) = $1,198.50

i dont know many people that can just drop 12 hundred dollars on rock.
maybe you could help me out azsaltman?:thumbsup:

Get dry rock and seed with one real nice piece of premium live rock. That's what most do.

Patience and waiting for killer deals is prob the best way to get great rock for cheap too. I've gotten all but one piece of my rock off these forums. Think I have $50 total invested in about 75 lbs of rock.

Initially, it took about 4 months for the coralline and such to start spreading in my tank.

But, now that it's matured, I removed a ton of rock and added new rock about a week ago - it's already starting to get a heavy coat of coralline.

So you just have to wait out those initial few months for the tank to mature.

Get dry rock and seed with one real nice piece of premium live rock. That's what most do.

Patience and waiting for killer deals is prob the best way to get great rock for cheap too. I've gotten all but one piece of my rock off these forums. Think I have $50 total invested in about 75 lbs of rock.

I agree, this seems to be the best route and ensures that you start out minus pests!

They have cheap rock $2 a pound. Free Shipping too.
Not a bad deal at all.

http://www.marcorocks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=14

I would recommend this link! My bro bought all his rocks from here and they look pretty awesome!

I'm on the, if you can't afford the buy in it's not the right hobby, side. Can it done on the cheap? Sure. But you'll be behind the curve for years. Trying to catch up in one department after another. This doesn't mean buy the very best of everything all the time. But there's certainly a minimal acceptable level of functionality for anything. Drop below that and th outcome will be negative. I think this is one of the primary contributors to the high turnover in the hobby. People have an unclear understanding of the economic and time requirements before taking the plunge. Then try and find a way to leverage an outcome that fits their preconceived economic/ time model.

Go to Tropical Treasures and buy and ton of Base Rock. $1.49lb. Then just buy a few lbs of actual LR to seed the tank. And $7.99lb??? Here again go to Same place, the more LR you buy the cheaper it is, but it only starts at $6.99lb, and when you buy more than i beleive 30# its $4.99lb. Good luck. Don't buy online, the its not worth the shipping, and you can hand pick what you want locally. You can also buy off of CL, and cook the rock before you put it in the tank. Lots of choices.

Back