Ca at 455, Alkalinity at 138, PH at 8.36 Is this normal

miktrav

Ca at ~450 Salifert, Alkalinity at 138 ppm Hanna checker, PH at 8.36APEX. Is this normal? PH has been flactuating between 8.27 and 8.36 over the course of a day. Do I need to try to increase my alkalinity or is that value to be expected? I read that normal alkalinity for a reef was 142.

Thanks,

Michael

138 is completely wrong. Normal seawater is between 7.0 & 8.3.
Many run higher for accelerated growth, but over 13 is pushing it.

that 138 value is ppm not DKH. Based on what you wrote, assuming you are referencing your values as DKH, my values are perfectly fine then. 138 ppm would put me at 7.715 DKH.

138 is completely wrong. Normal seawater is between 7.0 & 8.3.
Many run higher for accelerated growth, but over 13 is pushing it.

Thanks,

Michael

OK, I stand corrected.
I would shoot for no less than 8 DKH, this gets you away from the "bottom" value & gives you some wiggle room.

your fine right where your at...I'd check magnesium though......you should be using around 11% as much magnesium as you are consuming calcium. If you're dosing a lot of calcium you should be dosing magnesium too !..... water changes probably wont keep up with the magnesium you need

Last edited:
At the moment I am not dosing anything. I just restarted my tank and it's been up about 3 months now. The first month was empty with recycled rock from my old build,,a single damsel from my old setup that my wife likes since we got it as a little guy, and a few small frags I kept from my original corals. I have added a few more corals and livestock since. Right now I am relying on water changes every two weeks to keep things in line and was just surprised to see the alkalinity lower than recommended since I had done a water change exactly a week ago.

your fine right where your at...I'd check magnesium though......you should be using around 11% as much magnesium as you are consuming calcium. If you're dosing a lot of calcium you should be dosing magnesium too cause water changes probably wont keep up with the magnesium you need

Thanks for the input.

At 7.71 Dkh your Cal should be 415 ppm. I would keep testing your parameter to see if your consumption will keep up by water change

your fine right where your at...I'd check magnesium though......you should be using around 11% as much magnesium as you are consuming calcium. If you're dosing a lot of calcium you should be dosing magnesium too cause water changes probably wont keep up with the magnesium you need

I've never heard of this ratio using 11% magnesium as much as calcium. Do you know of any sources for further reading about the ratio of consumption of calcium, alkalinity, and Mg? Or is it as simple as equal parts calcium and alkalinity and 11% Mg?

I planned on continuing the testing and recording. I am also looking at a Trident or an Alkatronic, Dosatronic combo. Just started my research so I don't know the full story on either. I just want to simplify the testing and make dosing easier on myself.

At 7.71 Dkh your Cal should be 415 ppm. I would keep testing your parameter to see if your consumption will keep up by water change

I planned on continuing the testing and recording. I am also looking at a Trident or an Alkatronic, Dosatronic combo. Just started my research so I don't know the full story on either. I just want to simplify the testing and make dosing easier on myself.
Test and record and you will see a regular drop of Alk and Cal and then you will know if need dose

Back