CA is dropping...

hotrod797

I have an issue and need some input. Since day one of setting a reef tank back up I have been using purple up to keep CA levels around 440, and it has been working great....

Well about 3 weeks ago I had some chaeto go asexual, (also started using Chemipure elite) so I don't know where to point the finger, but it took a few of my favorite corals out, but with a few water changes and discontinuing the use of chemipure I was able to save most of them.
As of last week my CA had dropped from 440 to 360, so I started dosing almost 2 capfulls to my 80 gallon system (calls for 1 cap per 50gal) retested, and today my CA has dropped to 340?!?!?

I don't know what else to do, I am already over dosing the purple up, really can't afford to add a CA reactor right now. Any other ideas out there? is there something I am missing?

all other levels seem to be in check: PH 8.2 - 8.4, KH 12 DKH, nitrate 0, nitirite 0, ammonia 0 Phosphate 0 - 0.5

Thanks in advance!!

I have never heard of chaeto going asexual. Some other forms of macroalgae will.

I would quit spending your money on purpleup. It is a waste of money IMO.

I would first make sure your calcium test kit is reading correctly, then get a concentrated calcium chloride product like Turbo Calcium or Reef Complete and use the Reef Chemicals Calculator to determine dosage for your system. This will get your calcium level up quick.

Then figure out a regimen to keep your level up. :)

No, I don't yet have a test kit for mag,

It was actually Caulerpa and grape algae that was mixed in with the chaeto that went asexual.
I use the API test kits and have used 2 different ones with the same outcome, so I know its not the test

Last edited:
Then if your test is reading correctly, get yourself some Turbo Calcium or Reef Complete and bump that calcium up. :)

Back