Calamari Rings would be size of Tractor Tires

firefish2020

Interesting, it seems there has been a lot of giant squid sightings and captures of late? Several years ago they still debated that they actually existed I wonder why so many are turning up now as opposed to then?

mcox33

Just to prove the scientist(sp) wrong. LOL

No actually I think it is because of the atmospheric changes taking place in the world. Bringing them back closer to the coast and surface. Or maybe it is part of the life cycle thing. You know closer to coast and shallower water as they near the end of their lifeclyce, or maybe it has to do with breeding.

firefish2020

Or maybe it's because they are starving as some of there natural grounds are either being over-fished or depopulated by other means.

grendl

In this case the fishermen were fishing for Patagonian toothfish, which are on the colossal squids menu, & inhabit the sea at the same depth as the squid. I dont think this instance has much to do with global catastrophe, as much as dumb luck.

H.crispa

You know, I looked up the Patagonian Toothfish a while back and I seem to remember seeing a lot of stuff on it having a slow reproductive rate and a slow growth rate and it was becoming endangered or something like that. What are these people doing still fishing for this species?

Then again I could be completely nuts and making this stuff up out of thin air... but I don't think so.

H.crispa

Well, after a quick google I have determined that this fish is indeed in trouble, overfished, etc. and it also seems that it may actually be illegal to harvest it. So again, Why were these folks fishing for this fish in the first place? They caught a big squid. Cool. I'm in line for the giant calamari!

Of course, now that we know where the giant squid lives and feeds, how long will it be before we have giant calamari? How the heck are they going to fry that stuff? I guess you could turn a boxcar into a deep fryer. I'll bet it will be expensive too. Maybe a calamari "steak".???