Calc vs ALK

rdnyva

Search engine is out of commission so I have to ask this question instead of researching. My DKH is 7.6 and my calcium is 340. How do I get them up to 9 and 400 without raising one and having it adversly affect the other.

Well, what additives are you using? If you're using a 2-Part like C-Balance or B-Ionic then you could equally increase dosage, that's about the simplest way to do it.

Using nothing right now, tank has been up only 2 weeks. Should I give it a chance to stabilize before I do anything? BTW, I used Tropic Marin salt. Thanks

I use TM too, best salt you can buy. I personally like the two-part additives like C-Balance (what I use, but expensive) or B-Ionic. One part doses calcium, the other alk, along with magnesium, strontium, and other trace elements, so you always get a balanced result and its really hard to screw it up. A two-part for a 180 may be a little expensive, but it's really the only supplementation you'll need and I think it's worth it. I went from dosing 6 or 7 chemicals to just using a two-part...great results. Your tank parameters will need some time to stabalize, but I doubt calc and alk will go up.

Here's a link to the C-Balance at Marine Depot...http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_additives_two_little_fishies.asp?CartId=

You'll probably pay about double at a store, but once you factor in shipping it may all equal out. The gallon jugs would probably work well for you. HTH

Thanks, LBCBJ, I'm going to try C-Balance. I just read that the two 16 oz bottles treat 1900 gallons and the 2 one gallons treat over 15,000 gallons. That seems like a lot. How much should be added every day? How far would a gallon go?

The bottles have pretty detailed directions on the back. I would start off with the recommended dosage which I believe is 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons a day and go from there. After a few days you can start testing and see if you need to increase, but you're levels aren't horrible so you shouldn't need too much. I've never tried the gallon size, I like to stick with the small pre-mixed bottles, so I honestly don't know how far a gallon would go.

LBCBJ - I tried C-Balance and like it, very easy to use. I've got my levels up to 400 (with a little help from turbo calc) and 9.3. I was wondering how often you dose. Is it a daily thing. Since my tank is still new I'm testing twice a week (Sat & weds) and dosing on those days. So how often do I have to dose to keep my levels up - or is it a trial and error, adjust as you go type of thing.

You may have seen this already but it's worth mentioning. A do it your self 2 part additive.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

I've already gone through 1/2 a bottle of C-Balance, so you are right, it may get expensive.

Thanks again for the tip.

rdnyva, I use that 2 part from Doc Ron and I have no problems. I just bought a Calcium Reactor that i am going to hook up too.

If you plug in your numbers in the calculator mentioned above then double click on the graph on the right, it will explain to you what you have to do.

Instead of wasting all that expensive 2-part, it would be cheaper to bump up your levels with any of the calcium cloride products out there and baking soda. Adding both equally will just move you parallel to the line. You will need more calcium cloride then baking soda to move you into the zone.

A good size bottle of calcium cloride is a lot cheaper than 2-part.

Wow - I tried that calculator and was suprised at the results. My ca is usually at 320 and I've struggled to get it to 400. I dose 1/4 teaspoon of Turbo and 90 ML of bionic per week. Looks like according the rhe recommendation its a spit in the ocean on what is required. The calculator indicated I need 18 teaspoons! Ok, you can't dose it all at once but I think at my pace the tank uses is faster then I dose. I had no idea it would take so much to bring the level up 80PPM.

Thanks for the cool calculator. Nice job on the new version!

Your welcome. Its not my calculator but is is an effective tool.

If you're not testing for mag, you should be. Keeping your magnesium levels around 1300 ppm will help you maintain your cal/alk once you get it up there. :)

Back