Calcium and magnesium

OoooDRAGONoooo

Hi,if my mag levels are around 1500, will it affect the calcium test results negatively?.im asking because I cannot raise the calcium levels in my tank by sticking to the recommended daily doses of Randy's formula.any suggestions?

I recommend to first check propor functioning and accuracy of both of your test kits (Ca and Mg) by measuring a reference solution of saltwater (eg using FM Multi-reference).

As Mg is as elevated as 1500 mg/l, it should be no propblem at all to raise Ca by dosing

best rgds
Martin

I agree that 1500 ppm is fine. Lots of people run tanks at levels higher than that with no problems either with testing or animal health.

Ty,for replies.i have approximately 55 gallons of water and I'm dosing 2.5 ml of calcium, ( Randy's formula ) daily with no visible increase,I have done this for 7 days now,how quickly should I expect an measurable increase in calcium?

2.5 ml is a very small dose. The animals could consume it much faster than that. I dosed 15 ml or more into a 29g tank that was also getting Kalk for all topoff.

Oh, ok.ty.i will increase the daily dose.did I misunderstand the dosing formula of 0.1 ml per 100 gallons per day?It makes sense what u say.i will raise it .i think this problem I'm having may be caused by the different salt I'm using .i was using red sea pro coral. And this new one has much less calcium in it.

Excellent.ty very much.u have been very helpful over the couple years I have been here.it is appreciated.and Ty to everyone else who has helped me.merry Christmas and happy new year.

Back