Calcium chloride for 2 part. 90-95% pure

redspot321

In Memoriam
http://www.home-improvement-superstore.com/arch-chemical-61304-4-5lb-hth-calcium-plus.html

Ive been using this stuff for years with great results.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1393264

I just called the company hotline 866-hth-pool and they claim its 90-95% pure Calcium chloride. The remainder is Sodium chloride, potassium, water, and strontium.

I get it at ACE hardware for $6 for 4.5 lbs. Its made by Arch chemicals.

This may be a good alternate to the dow flake???

Well, I do not care what they say, I want to see an assay sheet on it. 90-95 % , so what is the other 5- 10 % ?

Re: Calcium chloride for 2 part. 90-95% pure

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12580620#post12580620 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by redspot321
"The remainder is Sodium chloride, potassium, water, and strontium."

That is not a assay sheet. How much Sodium chloride, how much potassium WHAT???, How much water? How much Strontium WHAT ???? Is one suppose to just assume the Sr++ and K+ are chloride ? 5- 10 % of any of those is allot. 5 -10 % means 10,000 - 50,00 ppm. DOW is 78-80 %(CaCl2 · 2 H2O) the rest is mostly water. Anhydrous calcium chloride (CaCl2) is usually 94 - 97 %. So, that stuff they got is some funny stuff at 90 -95 %. I think it is called plus as it has additives to it, such as extra NaCl, table salt.

I was wondering about using pool calcium also.
The CaCl from bulkreef "looks" (3-4mm pellets) the same as the stuff I put in my pool.
Although, AFAIK, it could all look that way.

Sky

Bulkreef uses Dow flake. You can not go by what it L@@Ks like :)

Yea, Boomer, as I said I didn't know what it is "supposed" to look like.
EDIT, I also didn't know it was Dowflake.
Is it the 'new" stuff or the old.
Ha, that sounds stupid.

It was just a passing thought about the appearancea s I was mixing Bulkreef CaCl.

Last edited:
LOL.... All Im saying is that its cheap, it works, and it comes in convient packages! It looks like they may have changed the formula a bit from the last batch I bought . The SR has been replaced with Mg??

3. COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
CAS or CHEMICAL NAME CAS # % Range
CALCIUM CHLORIDE 90% - 95%
WATER 2-4%
SODIUM CHLORIDE 1-2%
POTASSIUM CHLORIDE 1-2%
Magnesium Chloride 1-2%

PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
Physical State: solid,
Form Flakes
Color: White
Odor: None
Molecular Weight: 111.00
Specific Gravity : 2.1500
pH : 7.0 - 9.0 @ 5% aqueous solution
Boiling Point:
Not applicable
Freezing Point:
Not applicable
Melting Point:
Not applicable
Density:
42.0000 - 51.0000lb/ft3

If anyone wants a copy of the MSDS shoot me an email redspot321@gmail.com

Ben

Any chance you'll test Tetra?

There is no reason to test it. It is made from the Limestone Process and not the Salvay Process, so it is much purer that DOW and has not such thing as ammonia in it. Tetera makes the best calcium chloride there is by assay for us. I spent a hr on the phone with their chief chemist months ago.

redspot

An MSDS really tells you nothing about what is in it. It is not an assay. Sceond, this

3. COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
CAS or CHEMICAL NAME CAS # % Range
CALCIUM CHLORIDE 90% - 95%
WATER 2-4%
SODIUM CHLORIDE 1-2%
POTASSIUM CHLORIDE 1-2%
Magnesium Chloride 1-2%

PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
Physical State: solid,
Form Flakes
Color: White
Odor: None
Molecular Weight: 111.00
Specific Gravity : 2.1500
pH : 7.0 - 9.0 @ 5% aqueous solution
Boiling Point:
Not applicable
Freezing Point:
Not applicable
Melting Point:
Not applicable
Density:
42.0000 - 51.0000lb/ft3

is allot of bogus as it can't be that pure as it appears with zero % any other ions.

I might add that is allot of Sodium and Potassium in that salt @ 10,000 - 20,000 ppm. If you are using it I hope you are at least doing 30 % water changes / month.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12592994#post12592994 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Boomer

There is no reason to test it. It is made from the Limestone Process and not the Salvay Process, so it is much purer that DOW and has not such thing as ammonia in it. Tetera makes the best calcium chloride there is by assay for us. I spent a hr on the phone with their chief chemist months ago.

I have 2 words...

SA WEET!

I emailed a manager at arch chemicals. Heres what he had to say about the Calcium Plus. Hes going to get back to me and let me know who actually makes the stuff....

"This product is not manufactured by Arch Chemicalsâ€"we buy the product from our supplier in bulk and package it in bottles"

Could be Tetra...Dow.... the suspense!!!!!!!

Hello, I have a question for Boomer or anyone else that might know. My question is which type of Calcium Chloride would be best to use from Tetra Chemicals?

http://www.tetrachemicals.com

I was thinking maybe FFC Food Grade or Express RM?

Any info on which is the right one would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Back