Calcium deficiency

mechano

Hi all. Question regarding calcium in my set up.

150 gallon using Aquaforest balling method.

recent specs as of yesterday

Alk—10.3

Phos—0.0 (corrected after testing)

Nitrate—5-10ppm

***Ca—350ppm**??????***

Mg—1315 ppm

PH—8.25

how can I safely bring up the calcium in my reef without affecting PH and alkilinity?? All other specs are checking out ok. And my test kit is dated to 2026! (Checked 3 times using Salifert tests)

**additional notes, tank mainly has softies, zoas, mushrooms, and a few small sps frags (looking healthy) , and 2 small LPS (euphylia) heads**

**yes I know phosphate is low , dosed last night with brightwells **

Again, all livestock looks great.

Please suggest a product

I should also mention my system has been running for over a years but seems to be lacking in coralline growth

I would think any calcium chloride additive would be fine, including whatever Aquaforest offers. I've used Kent, ESV, and even bulk 'pickle crisp' from the grocery store. I don't think it matters.

I would think any calcium chloride additive would be fine, including whatever Aquaforest offers. I've used Kent, ESV, and even bulk 'pickle crisp' from the grocery store. I don't think it matters.
Ok thanks. Just don’t want to mess with alkalinity or ph. Everything is stable, but figured I would increase it slowly. Cheers

I’m pretty sure you’re reaching complete saturation of calcium and alk in the aquarium. As you bring calcium higher I would imagine you alk will drop a bit. If you lower the pH you would be able to increase calcium without a drop in alk, but there are many reasons not to do that.

Mine sticks around 420Ca, 9.5dkh, and pH 8.12. Any time I bring the pH up calcium drops and if I bump that dkh tries to go into the 8 range.

Yeah it’s definitely odd. But looking at older readings and the patterns of those readings that I did log, it does correlate to your statement for sure.
Tank has always been dosed with 3 part Aquaforest balling method dosing and not nearly enough SPS or LPS to make a dent in this system really.
Just interesting. Not really worried. What I am glad with is the fact I found my phosphate levels nose-diving. Just noticed a few Dinos in time hopefully and removed all ferric oxide and turned off the skimmer. 😱

Back