Calcium hexahydrate

lowman31

Anyone use calcium hexahydrate to make Randy's two part? Just wondering because a frient has some and I didn't know if it would work.

Jim

Using calcium chloride hexahydrate will work if the purity has been tested and proves worthy for a reef system. Randy has only tested the Dow products made by the Dead Sea Works. Heavy metals and ammonia can be a problem along with other possible contaminates.

HighlandReefer,

So besides possible impurities, there should be no issues. My neighbor is a chemist and he got the stuff from his lab. Would you think there is a high probability of it being pure?

Jim

The lab grade chemicals are rated by different standards for their purity. I forget what the rating are which are considered safe for reef use. I would assume your chemist friend would be familiar with the ratings and can tell your answer.

Boomer is familiar with these standards, but I have not seen him on the forum lately. He may be on a vacation. I was looking for the thread which went into details about this subject, but the search function has not been working lately.

Perhaps other chemists on the forum can chime in.

Yes Cliff on vacation :). Just got back from a Lake Superior North Shore fishing trip and forgot to inform you and Billy. I thought I would do it in the RV but, ah nope, dead signal :lol:

Jim.

The real issue here is all the waste in hexahydrate, to much water. Same issue as Epsom salt, crap loads of water = wasted money. But if it is really heap then it should be fine. What grade is it, Tech, Food, USP, Reagent, etc.? Who makes it ?

Boomer,

The Ca hexahydrate just says extra pure on it. The structure looks like big pieces of rock candy. He also has Ca hydroxide and it says reagent grade on it. Is this good enough for reef?

Jim

Back