Calcium Reactor Advice

manster69

I am now in the process of getting a Calcium Reactor for my 180 G Reef Tank and have looked at the following makes:

Aqua Care Model 2, Schuran, Precision Marine, Reef Mania and Geo Marine.
I am kind of leaning toward the AquaCare but would like input and suggestions on these and probably a few other makes that I haven't seen.

I just purchased a GEO 618 about a week ago and it has been in operation since Friday. Do date, it works pefectly. I love the solid and well built design and ease of set-up. It is real easy to dial in with regards to effluent output pH. I'm not sure of long term results since it is still new but I am happy so far. These come with Eheim 1048 pumps to compliment it.

hth,
Gary

I plan to get a Schuran, myself. I've seen several top-notch reef setups and all run Schurans! They are somewhat expensive but are very efficient.

Calcium Reactor Advice

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14191956#post14191956 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GP
I just purchased a GEO 618 about a week ago and it has been in operation since Friday. Do date, it works pefectly. I love the solid and well built design and ease of set-up. It is real easy to dial in with regards to effluent output pH. I'm not sure of long term results since it is still new but I am happy so far. These come with Eheim 1048 pumps to compliment it.

hth,
Gary

Out of the box with the CO2 package, what did you have to buy additionally? Feed Pump (what kind)? PH Controller (what kind)?
Also, can you put Magnesium Media with the ARM as well?
:)

Calcium Reactor Advice

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14192327#post14192327 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by redmarble
I plan to get a Schuran, myself. I've seen several top-notch reef setups and all run Schurans! They are somewhat expensive but are very efficient.

This was really my first choice when I started looking but because we don't have any dealers here so I started looking for other brands. Another reason I am sort of leaning towards the AquaCare is because they look almost exactly the same (Board Mounted) and it is also made in Germany. I can pick up the complete set here (Model 2) with CO2 Package, both Magnesium & ARM Media, Whisper 60 Air Pump & a Milwaukee PH Controller for $1,300.00.

My GEO 618 package was half that. I also use Deltec (German) equipment and it's top notch. I feel the GEO equipment is just as good for a fraction of the price.

The German stuff is more efficient as far as CO2 usage but, at less than $20 a year for my CO2 it would take a lifetime to make up the price difference.

This is just my opinion/experience, hope it serves as some insight.

Aqua C RX-1

Aqua C RX-1

Before you go with those rec's (and they're all good one's), just bought a RX-1 by Aqua C and it is by far the BEST I've ever used. Come's with a PH Probe inlet to put your probe right in the chamber, it feeds bottom up which is fantastic and the media tank holds more media (it's a square box shape), than any other in it's class. (Put a whole jar of ARM media in it)!!! Now mind you, I have it on a 150 gal. reef and a LOT of members on this site use bigger reactors because they're running 500+ gal systems but for me, I absolutely LOVE it!!!! Check it out on the web.

Michael

Good luck and Happy Reefing!

I got a used custom PM. dual chamber was a must for me. long as its dual chamber I think they are all pretty similair. a good flow restrictor is also important, the PM has a fine tune knob to limit the flow, doesnt clog, easy to adjust.

unfortunatly it isnt on their website, not sure how the guy got them to make the custom unit.

but just generally, a calcium reactor is extremely simple, just the little stuff that matters, the flow control method, the pump they use.

I hear good things about the MRC calcium reactors as well.

Calcium Reactor Advice

Goodwood; harleymarine; areze
Thanks for the input guys. Still haven't made up my mind yet.

I've used knop/procal/deltec and currently a GEO.

In my honest opinion GEO beats them all b/c of customer service. The output of the deltec seems to be a little higher but as far as reliability and customer service as well as ease of setup and care GEO is a far superior product.

i'm using korallin 1502 on my 125g /// works great - the only thing - you should but optional lid with pH PROBE holder. it makes life much easier with a ph controller.

Back