Calcium Reactor fine tuning

Sailor_jon

I just aquired a DIY reactor holding approx 35lbs of aragonite, with a double pass style flow. I have it installed and up and running, for about 2 weeks now. The CO2 flows at a rate of approx 1 bubble per sec on the bubble counter, the effluent flow is a stready drip into an overflow box into the sump. I have a probe frm Ph Controller in the box. The low 'on' setting is set for 6.4pH and the high or 'off' is set to 7.00pH, to turn the co2 on and off.

It seems Im accumulating a white calcium (some knind of mineral)buildup in the sump and seems to be accumulating, like a snow drift on my live rock in the tank.

I check the tank pH and its around 8.2 high and 8.0 low. Any ideas if Im overdosing? or is something else going on. How does everyone else set up ther parameters for a reactor and controller? Any help is approciated. Thanks.

I have a couple of questions for you. By aragonite, do you mean standard aragonite that you would use as a substrate? Is your pH probe that controls your CO2 in the reactor or the overflow box that returns water from your display to the sump? FYI, I run my controller - on at 6.8 / off at 6.4.

The reactor contains A.R.M. made for reactors, currently. My probe is in a small 1 pint capacity overflow box that drips into the sump. The probe is in one side, the box has an underflow baffle to the other side which then overflows to the sump. I was thinking of narrowing teh range. The reactor is larger capacity (made for a 300gal) and Im thinking by the time the effluent gets to the overflow box and the probe turns it off, there is still a lot of volume left in the reactor that still flows out, even after the controller turns off the CO2. I have a 72 gal tank.

Back