Calcium Reactor for 340g (450g+ total) system

NexDog

Snail Killer
Premium Member
Any ideas? :)

Also need recommendations on a decent regulator.

Would be nice if it all cost less than a Ferarri.

I really like the GEO calcium reactor, I have a 624 for my 185g. Very well built and about in the price range of everybody else. I did a poll and that what was recommended to me.

As far as a regulator, I really like the aquariumplants .com electronic regulator. I put in on a year ago and have only had to touch it once. There are several threads on here about it. The only issue is the vendor is very slow to ship so plan to extra time for the regulator.

I have used deltec, MRC, korallin, and Reeftek.

Out of those four it would have to be the reef tek, only because its built well and is also the cheapest.

Currently I run the deltec and will prob switch it out when I switch to my 120g

I am going to buy Geo 612 or Geo 618. Most people agree that Geo is the easiest to set and run. For my system 612 is more than enough, but few reefers said that they wished that they got 618 due to the larger media chamber. I have my doubts if I will be able to fit 618 under my tank. I have only 25 inches clearance. It should be ok, but i would greatly appreciate if one of you lucky owner of Geo 618 could measure how tall that beauty is.

How about a regulator. One with a solenoid looks like the best bet. The milwaukee seems popular but has many bad reviews?

ca

ca

I've started using the GHL dosing pumps with Fauna Marines balling salts and don't know why I haven't done so before. I have stable waterparameter and my system is 340 gallons.

I will never get another reactor ever in my life ;) .

Re: ca

Re: ca

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15464608#post15464608 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lapja
I've started using the GHL dosing pumps with Fauna Marines balling salts and don't know why I haven't done so before. I have stable waterparameter and my system is 340 gallons.
I will never get another reactor ever in my life ;) .
I second what lapja says. Especially for large tanks, three part dosing is the way to go. I would really recommend you give it some thought. Assuming you can get the equipment you need in Japan, a full blown dosing system will cost you no more, and maybe less than, than a top-of-the-line Ca reactor. My 375gal tank has had ALK at 8.3 dKH +- 0.1 dKH since I started it. Ca's been between 420 and 440, Mg's been between 1330 and 1380. Controlling your parameters becomes child's play.

how much are you dosing? also how is the bulk reef supply 3 part different then the fauna method? or is it the same?

Last edited:
GEO/GEO/GEO I've played around with many but Georges units are by far the most user friendly.
I would also consider a deltec for its output.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15465822#post15465822 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by larryfl1
how much are you dosing? also how is the bulk reef supply 3 part different then the fauna method? or is it the same?
I dose approx. 130mL of each supplement every 24 hours. BRS and FM have differences in the amount of each supplement to be dosed. Mainly the ratio of Mg Chloride to Mg Sulphate. I follow the Randy Holmes-Farley scheme.

I would dose but I can't buy the 2-Part/3-Part here in Japan and I have no idea what baking soda is in in Japanese and even if I found some I have no idea if it was teh right one etc. Too many variables. Has to be a Ca Reactor.

schuran makes awesome reactors for bigger tanks. They are extremely reliable, reuse otherwise wasted CO2 like other reactors, and have outputs that will exceed anything you could ever need. I use the jetstream 1 and i probably will never switch back to my first deltec.

I run a full SPS tank right @ 400 gallons , with the 818 no problems, I think the 624 might be a little small on that size of system ,but it also depends what you plan on keeping

Back