Calcium Reactor Help!

SolidDetail808

Unofficial #1 BJ Penn fan
I've decided to setup my Ca reactor, but I have no idea how this works. All I got is the reactor, so what do I need to get this running. I also got a Reef Keeper 2 controller. I'm trying to keep the cost down so used equipment will suffice.
Thanks in advance
Mike

You will need a supply of CO2. A used bottle is fine but note if it needs the hydro test or vis inspection because this will increase the cost when you fill it.
You will also need a regulator and bubble counter (if not included in the reactor) This controls the amount of CO2 that enters the reactor.
I would also get a PH prob to measure the PH of the effluent of the reactor. This will be the way you adjust the reactor

J

Re: Calcium Reactor Help!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11612797#post11612797 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SolidDetail808
I've decided to setup my Ca reactor, but I have no idea how this works. All I got is the reactor, so what do I need to get this running.

Hey Mike,

You will need a reactor media, a recirc pump (if your reactor doesn't already have one) a feed pump like Aqualifter (or you can tee to the return) a CO2 bottle, bubble counter, regulator, a GOOD check valve and your RK2.

Set one of your RK2's channel to "pH control" and plug the solenoid on this outlet. Set it to turn on at pH 7.0 and off at pH 6.5. You'd want to put the probe on the effluent or the reactor chamber.

That should get you started... feel free to ask more questions and I'll try to answer them if I can :D

XTM- thanks for the offer! You'll be getting a PM from me soon.

Is it cheaper/ better to get my co2 tanks for a gas supply or just get it online. What sources can I go to online for this stuff?

local welding shop has them at fair price. 5lbs goes for $50 to $80 buy used ones to save some money. but, get good solenoid valve tho.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11615756#post11615756 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SolidDetail808
XTM- thanks for the offer! You'll be getting a PM from me soon.

Is it cheaper/ better to get my co2 tanks for a gas supply or just get it online. What sources can I go to online for this stuff?

huh? I never offered you anything.. :D lol

If you order your CO2 tank online, they will ship it to you empty. You will still need to go to your local place to get CO2... and unless you're gonna display your bottle, don't buy the expensive aluminum ones. The CO2 shop will take your shiny bottle and give you a rusty metal bottle for exchange when you go out for refill. Some places will make you wait, some places will do exchanges only.

However since you're into detailing stuff, I say go for the shiny bottle. Bust out the Meguiars and buffer.......... :lol:

Thanks guys I think I have the info I need until the stuff comes in. I got a CO2 tank, gauge, soleniod, and regulator.

Auto Reply Bot enabled.

Click. Whirr. Buzz. Ding!

This questions has been answered 27.52 million times on this and other discussion boards. There is also a forum specifically dedicated to this - please use the appropriate forum.

Search is your friend. ReefCentral search never works. So do this:

1. Go to Google.com
2. To the right of the search box is "Advanced Search", click it.
3. Enter your search terms at the top of the page ie "calcium reactor"
4. Scroll down to "Domain" and type in "reefcentral.com"
5. Click the search button
6. Spend some time reading the results.
6. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Click. Whirr. Buzz. Ding! Auto Reply Bot disabled.

/end message.

Back