Calcium Reactor recommendation

bustayanky

Hi guys. On my new 225g tank build. I'm thinking about setting up a calcium reactor. I was thinking about getting a GEO. I need some suggestions on good source for information about calcium reactors. BRS vids? Also some recommendations on how to set up a calcium reactor. Also building of regulator. What's the new techniques for setting up regulator? Thanks for any help!

Aquamax is a good alternative Cal reactor but as far as regulator get a good dual stage regulator like Alan Le it will help greatly with stability. The new kamoer paralistic pump is a good feed pump or any used master flex. Setting up is not that complicated u just need to test a lot for the first week to dial in your reactor. The ultimate way is too to run your co2 24/7 to feed alk Cal n mag 24/7 this way your tank will be very stable plus without turn on n off on your regulator help prolong the unit. And later on if u have problem with low pH because of the Cal reactor then u can add a kalk reactor to supplement pH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Anthony, a well built dual stage regulator is key and Alan Le makes great regulators (I have one and it's absolutely one of the best out there). The Geo's are great, I have the 618 that's fed from a brushless masterflex and it's been running solid from day one.
This is the way that I run mine, minus the needle valve and it's super steady, running 24/7.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwlvfgDvQqg

I have an Aquamaxx reactor an like it. I have it paired with a Kamoer pump as well as custom dual stage regulator built after the Alan Le model. It's been a great combo so far. If you don't want to build a reg and the headaches that may come with building one (ie. finding parts, bad regulator, leaks, etc.), a lot of people have had great results with the Carbon Doser.
As far as Geo goes, I know a few reefers who've returned them because the build quality isn't as good as they used to be.

I run an older style GEO 6x18, secondary chamber unknown. I bought an Alan Le regulator. Water is pulled through the reactor by a kamoer pump. It's truly been set it and forget it.
I still run the reactor base of internal pH controlled by apex but have the regulator adjusted to where it maintains the pH I want with the apex set slightly lower for a fail safe. My stand is still open with kids, so if something gets bumped or messed with I should still be okay.

I was in Ali's shop a few months back and he had my exact reactor sitting in there used. Almost bought it for a backup. Hit him up if you're looking for a used option maybe hes still got it

Had 2 Geo calc reactor so far and love them... but any decently build reactor will do the job... a well built dual stage regulator and a peristaltic pump will make your life alot easier... With a peristaltic pump and a good regulator you should dial it to a point where your co2 solenoid stays open all the time... With a consistent water flow and co2 through your reactor your ph should be dead solid... I had a ph probe in there as backup and to monitor the ph inside... My ph graph on the apex was a solid line at 6.8... I would occassionally see a fluctuation of maybe .01-.03 on ph, but that was it.. The only time I need to do any adjustment was if the tank consumption increased... even then I would just have turn the needle valve a tiny tiny bit to the left and I was set.

I am in the process for setting one up. Went with the Aquamaxx T1, Kamoer pump and this co2 by Alan Le. He has another just like it if you are interested.
1632b70e200de3f7c5c563caf047fdf6.jpeg

If you do not mind the price, dastaco is one of the best reactors I ever owned. Super easy to dial and it will run from day one without tinkering or hassle.

Cool this is a lot of good info. Imma need to look into this some more. No rush since my tank is fairly new.

So the aquamaxx carx says it's rated up to 300g. Does that mean heavy, medium or light on stony corals? Would it be good enough for 225g mixed reef with slight edge towards sps?

Cool this is a lot of good info. Imma need to look into this some more. No rush since my tank is fairly new.

So the aquamaxx carx says it's rated up to 300g. Does that mean heavy, medium or light on stony corals? Would it be good enough for 225g mixed reef with slight edge towards sps?

Even the smallest CARX would run a heavy 225 SPS tank, you would just need to lower the pH and replace media often. Don't get to hung up on size ratting.

Also, look into the carbondoser for a regulator. It's not as precise as a fancy Alan lee but plenty more than precise to run a CARX, stupid simple to adjust and very consistent.

very happy with my Reef Octopus reactor. No Thumb screws. spend the extra money on a good regulator and that will make all the difference.

Possibly an upgrade option. I saw Tony "monkie" set that up for his tank and it does look pretty sweet.
I am running ext A2. Its really amazing reactor. Very easy to use and auto control..worth the price tag.
Funny if you compare price of a decent reactor but after adding all what's needed, the diffrence is not that much from the dastaco.
Dastaco come with a true complete package that you only add co2 and you good to go..

Mrc dual stage, older geos, mtc minical or procal all have been solidnfor me. running a mrc, alan le and kaomer right now, super stable

Just to throw this out there, I do have a Geo 612 with Alan Le regulator and a 5lb CO2 tank just sitting in my spare room right now. 612 may be a bit on the small side, but should still work with a 225. I used it for literally 6 months before I realized it was overkill for my tank. If you're interested shoot me a PM!

Back