Calcium Reactor Suggestions

GregC

I'm in the market to purchase a Cal Reactor, for my new tank setup. At the moment I'm looking at a GEO unit for no particular reason, just read good comments on them. The unit I need would have to support a water volume no less than 300 gal's, probably more in the range of 500 gals, if I decide to go ahead and set up the second 150 stock tank. What I'm looking for are suggestions / experiences with the different Cal reactors that are out there at the moment. Any other units I should look at? Any units I should stay away from? What do you have and if you had it to do over again what would you do differently? All comments are welcome and appreciated.

GregC

Nobody wants to comment on their Cal reactor? I thought people would be on this like a rat on a cheeto!

dustin Combs

In Memoriam
Hey Greg, Of course the Geo is a premium reactor and has a very large following. There isn't much room to talk about any other Reactor when comparing it to the Geo.
It would be a great choice.

pwhitby

RC Sponsor
Team RC
Yep, I agree with Dustin,

I really like mine. I have had 3 different types and the geo beats them all hands down.

P.

GregC

Ok thanks, that is what I needed, I would like to get the best unit I can, will be running this for a long time.

happysak

Schuran is another one to look at

schuran-jetstream2.jpg

bigB

Frag Farmer
I 0wn a GEO 6x18 and love it. Built like a tank and simply built if i ever need to replace something.

Bil B.

spsphreak75gal

I was in the market for a calcium reactor last year. After looking at different models, I chose an Octopus 6x24 calcium reactor. Great quality and even better value. It was easy to install and set-up.
DSC00260.jpg

ixouttheeyes

P, you said you have had "3 different types". Were you referring to models of Geos or brands of reactors. If the latter is the case, and I know it's not your intention to bash any one brand or the people that use it, but for the sake of saving your fellow hobbyists some heartaches/cash, are there any brands that you would steer other hobbyists against? Also, if I may ask, which features on your current make and model makes it go from good to great? I've read your write up on your current reactor and admired your ability to pick apart certain features you found to be good/exceptional. I've never owned a calc reactor before (to my knowledge neither has Greg), and as such, I just don't know which of those features are common in the average reactor.

ixouttheeyes

^Same question for anyone else that has discerning tastes and has owned multiple reactors. Not to hijack your thread G, just thought it would be as helpful for you in your decision making process.

GregC

Yepper Corby just the stuff I am looking for, appriciate ya jumping in there with questions for sure.

pwhitby

RC Sponsor
Team RC
the biggest feature is a ph probe port built into the reaction chamber. To me this is an absolute must have feature. You can get along without it, but it is very nice to have one.

_Sooner_2

I have to agree with Paul, Geo includes a port for a PH probe on his reactors. I tried counting bubbles before Geo...never again. lol Some brands offer that, usually at an additional price. I also like the Eheim pump on my Geo, silent runner.

Ronnie

dustin Combs

In Memoriam
Idareefer I also use a lifereef with the built in pH port. Gosh Lifereef is all I use anyway. Jeff makes some wonderful Reactors and Skimmers.
The skimmer is very easy to service, quite, and very dependable not to mention high quality work. Good bang for the buck.