Calling all experts in plumbing

debarmay

Desperately need help with this problem. I got a new 150 gallon tank. It takes up the same area that a 90 gal would but is taller. It is plumbed with dual corner dorsu. The problem I'm having is that I can't get the sump level up. The water at the top of the tank is barely an inch below the trim and my sump has on 3-4" of water in it. Its not deep enough to run my protein skimmer. i have my return pump running on the lowest level and still have this problem. I've taken out the filter sock and filter sponge without improvement. dorsu pipes are completely underwater. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Also looked at size of pump. Im running a Jebao DCT rated for 3170 GPH. Im wondering if the pump is just too powerful. I used the pump on my last 90 gallon but it was drilled and plumbing from the back with much larger pipes. Could this be the problem?

You may need a gate valve on the up line so you can moderate the flow to the tank specs. Do NOT put a valve on the drain line.

Thanks. I'm going to look at the head pressure and see what the actual GPH is. I have a DC pump and I have it on the lowest setting. I may have to get a different pump. I could also try a gate valve. I agree about the drain line. I'm trying to increase flow to the sump.

The sump should be 3/4 - 7/8 full with the pump OFF.
I have the approx. same pump different brand.
I have to be @ level 2 to get any flow to the tank but run @ a higher setting.
With a DC pump there is no need for a valve off the pump.
You should NOT reduce the output size of any pump.

Also looked at size of pump. Im running a Jebao DCT rated for 3170 GPH. Im wondering if the pump is just too powerful. I used the pump on my last 90 gallon but it was drilled and plumbing from the back with much larger pipes. Could this be the problem?

3170 gph?
Why so much flow? That's like 21 times and hour flow. lol
Are you pumping up from a basement sump and need the head pressure?
There is absolutely no need for such a powerful pump for return.
I got away with 150 gallons per hour on a basement sumo system.
About 200 gallons total water volume.
Your skimmer and will work much better with slower flow.

Back