Calling all Lamotte Ca test kit users

sps1-2-b

Hi everyone! My Lamotte Ca test kit gives me readings of 750, 800, 1000, etc. on both main tank and make up water. This can't be correct, right? Am I doing something wrong or do I have to do more math? Here are my steps:
Fill vial with 1.0 ml saltwater
Dilute to 12.9 ml with distilled water
Add 6 drops hydroxide soln and swirl
Add 1 tablet and swirl
Start titrating until soln turns from red to purple to blue (I disregard when soln turns from blue back to purple within 5 sec. I record value when soln stays blue for 7 sec)
Multiply titration value by 5.16

My readings on the titrator syringe are usually >180 so if multiplied by 5.16 gives me results of >928 ppm Ca

Anyone see any mistakes I make during the steps? Do I need to do any more math on the 928 value? Thanks in advance.

This is a really bad test. I can never read it correctly either. I finally went back to alterntating between an API and a Salifert.

Anyone out there with any advice? Extremely frustrated. I would really appreciate any input. Again, TIA.

Thanks Jose. I was afraid someone would tell me that. That stinks because I paid close to $30 for the test kit a week ago brand new. Maybe I'll call the place to see if there's anything they can do. I was hoping that I missed a step or something. Thanks for your input nevertheless.

I thought I was the only one who hated this test, and here I see several other experienced reefers also saying it sucks.

I do like the Lamotte Alk test quite a bit. Easy to read and fast.

For a cheap replacement Ca test, I've found the API test to be surprisingly good, especially for the price. I've even seen one well known coral retailer using one, cough*fragfarmer*cough.....

La Motte

La Motte

I have used that kit for several years and it does take some getting used to.The "trick" is you must drip quickly and you stop the first time it turns blue.It is more accurate than any other test that I have tried.

Back