Calling all MH experts

CRookSkee

So im wondering if my radium 20k 400w bulbs are defective the reason why is because compared to my old hamilton tech 10ks par is not even close. My old 10ks where showing around 800+ par at the water level and my radiums around 340 par. Is that normal or should i be concerned ? Fixture is around 12 inches from the water surface. Once im home i will test one 10k to one 20k and compare and post up on here to see if that is normal for the 20k to be super low in par. I thought id have more since its a 400w bulb. Powering them with m59 ballasts.

Manny

Sounds like there is an issue somewhere. Should be higher than that for sure. Maybe a silly question, but is it being powered by a 400w ballast?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sounds like there is an issue somewhere. Should be higher than that for sure. Maybe a silly question, but is it being powered by a 400w ballast?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Yea tell me about it, yeap by a m59 hamilton tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little bit of searching and i have found my problem, im running m59 ballast and these bulbs need a m135 pulse start or electronic ballast. So might be selling the bulbs.

Manny

Ahh thats a bummer, glad you found the issue though. At one point I bought a bunch of the "same" bulbs, new, but had a spectrum difference. After checking the dates, the manufacturer confirmed that they had switched something with the electrode. They kindly sent me a replacement for the two "older" ones.

You could check the forums and craigslist for some of those select-a-watt ballasts 250-400+ watts.
I have a friend who’s shutting down his tank due to a move and he uses 400w Radiums and the growth of the corals is great.

Ahh thats a bummer, glad you found the issue though. At one point I bought a bunch of the "same" bulbs, new, but had a spectrum difference. After checking the dates, the manufacturer confirmed that they had switched something with the electrode. They kindly sent me a replacement for the two "older" ones.
Yea man sucks, now i have to get rid of the bulb or find some ballasts.

Manny

You could check the forums and craigslist for some of those select-a-watt ballasts 250-400+ watts.
I have a friend who's shutting down his tank due to a move and he uses 400w Radiums and the growth of the corals is great.
Yea ive been searching all day, hopefully i find some soon if not im getting rid of the bulbs and getting hamiltons 20k bulbs

Manny

Back