Can anybody ID these black spots on my clownfish?

What is in your tank? Those spots look like the common stings that clowns will get from being hosted by a coral. Is the clown attempting to be hosted by a coral?

If that is true, then don't worry about it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12281964#post12281964 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
What is in your tank? Those spots look like the common stings that clowns will get from being hosted by a coral. Is the clown attempting to be hosted by a coral?

If that is true, then don't worry about it.

exactly....

Yeah, I've seen a few of those on my clowns before, I think due to a frogspawn. They go away after a couple of weeks.

Great info guys, there is a large frogspawn at the boundary of, or what this guy probably considers to be in, his territory. He and his mate have been attacking corals and inverts in this tank. So I guess he got stung.

Both of my O clowns just came down with the same exact thing.... I don't have a frogspawn.... I still think it's black ick! I gave mine a FW dip last night.... see what happens in the next few days

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12284127#post12284127 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dustin_p
Both of my O clowns just came down with the same exact thing.... I don't have a frogspawn.... I still think it's black ick! I gave mine a FW dip last night.... see what happens in the next few days

What corals -- if any -- do you have in the tank? Doesn't need to be a frogspawn, could come from GSP, a zoa, or any coral.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12284221#post12284221 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dustin_p
I have: xenia, toadstool, brain, multi zoa, shrooms, kenya tree, BTA, RBTA, multi acro

Any of those could have caused it. See if you can watch the clown and if he is hanging around any of them.

the BTA could possibly sting them as well. I don't think that clowns are "immune" to anemone stings, just tolerant. I may be wrong though

You're right on track, frogspawn, hammers, etc can cause that reaction on the scales of clownfish. Nothing to worry about, will resolve on its own.

Back