can anyone I.D. this for me?

canseeker

Hello Everyone:

Not sure what this is growing on my hammer, or if I should try to eliminate it? The photo is not the best, but didn't want to remove my hammer from the tank. It looks like little black eggs and is hard to the touch. If anyone knows what this is and how to get rid of it, if needed, I would appreciate your input.

Thank you,
canseeker

Hi Scott:

I did some research on valona (bubble algae) and that is what I have growing in my tank. Thank you for your help my friend and happy reefing : )

Canseeker

My pleasure.

If you decide you do not like it and want it out of your aquarium (most report that this algae can become a pest) there are a few more accepted suggestion than others.

Do's
- look into purchasing an Emerald (Mithrax) crab (mine ate 'all' of the bubble algae that was in the tank when she was introduced, but has since refined her tastes)
- while siphoning during a water change you could also drag the hose across the bubble, scraping it from the rock and sucking it and it's 'spore' out the hose.

Don'ts
- pick/pop the algae with your fingers; the insides will release into the water-column and could cause a massive infestation (or so I am told)

Enjoy and happy-reefing to you as well,

Back