Can anyone ID this for me?

capspath83

It's been in my tank for about 5 years now and it was originally part of a bigger rock filled with polyps which migrated all over my tank. After my move, it was then covered by a bubble tip that split. I have always thought it was just part of the foundation rock and not alive but as of yesterday I noticed it was open and would close when I would do maintenance. It looks like some type of mussel, but I've never seen a mussel this thin or anything.... any thoughts???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2fcc6fb79fa47c8228c51045eac63b09.jpg

It is one of the non photosynthetic bivalve. This mollusk is a filter feeder and will not live long in our aquarium.

Can anyone ID this for me?

It is one of the non photosynthetic bivalve. This mollusk is a filter feeder and will not live long in our aquarium.

Thanks OrionN! How long is not long? It's been in my tank for about 5-6 years or so.

Wow, your must feed some filter type food, becasue it need to filter feed not photosynthesis. You must have lots of natural filter feed for him. Almost unheard of to have a filter feeder in our aquarium unless we specifically target feed them with appropriate food.
Good for you to be able to keep a non-photosynthetic animal for that long.

Wow, your must feed some filter type food, becasue it need to filter feed not photosynthesis. You must have lots of natural filter feed for him. Almost unheard of to have a filter feeder in our aquarium unless we specifically target feed them with appropriate food.
Good for you to be able to keep a non-photosynthetic animal for that long.

Thanks! Yea, I feed Coral Frenzy. I had a derasa and maxima clam for many years as well which is why I was feeding coral frenzy. I don't target feed though. Happy to know that it's not natural for it to live so long and mine is going strong! Cheers to that [emoji482]!

Back