can anyone id this plant?

ozadars

Hi,
Today i went to the beach to collect some hermits and snails for my tank and i found a group of plant but dont know what it is? It had strong roots and i had to rip to take some.. also there was some micro algea on them, is this bad for plant? ok here is a pic

Looks a little like Thallasia. Can you get a close up picture of the blades?
-Will

Shouldn't Thallasia have larger tubers and smaller runners?

Whatever it is it looks very nice. If you could get it to weave around the sandbed, seems like it would make a nice field of blades.

yes looks nice but i dont think it will live because micro algae is covering their leaves. We have eel grass too in Turkey, are they hard to keep? i have will have around 70-100W lamp on my 65, is this enough or not? And do they use nitrate like caulerpa does?

Take Care
Selim

Oh.... I didn't realize you were from Turkey. I guess it's not Thallasia after all. I agree with Density, it's nice whatever it is.
-Will

What do the water temperature's run in your area? There are two main large bladed seagrasses, Zostera marina which is a temperate/cold water sea grass, and Thallasia testudinum wich is a sub tropical/tropical sea grass.

Not sure about the winter but at summer probably around 20 C (NOT F)
I guess we have large groups of Zostera Marine here (the pics arent Zostera)... i guess Zostera called eel grass. What does eel grass needs? Can i put some in my tank? 100W will be enough? lights are flo and more then 10K but i also have a flo thats made for plants (freshwater probably) i can also add this too... Do they need extra things?

I must need more coffee, just typed out a nice reply and hit reset instead of submit :eek1: I'll have to try again ;)

20C is about 68F, a little cool for most tropical types. Especially if the temps chill down during the winter. Biggest worry will be if your tank temps are too warm for the particular species you have. In general sea grasses should be planted 1-2 inches (2.5-5cm) deep in the substrate. Fine grain organic rich (like an old DSB) work best. 100W of flo lighting using daylight or reef type lighting should work well for shallow tanks. Stronger lighting will give faster growth. I also find sea grasses seem to do best when iron additions are regularly made.

Thanx Bill, sorry for your resetted reply :D
Actually i dont think the temp will be a problem because its about winter now and i brought an urchin and a starfish few days ago from sea and they are doing well.
I have 1" sand bed, i think thats bad but very bad? impossible to keep? I guess i can add iron, no problem

Take Care

If those are winter temps, I like them :D

Based on the rhyzome and my experience with simular plants, I would try and thicken up the substrate a bit, around 2" should do it.

Back