Can anyone identify this mystery "thing"?

leevh

Hello everyone, after getting nowhere on google I'm hoping someone could help me identify this strange thing in my reef tank (see attachment).

Its the pink round ball in the middle of the photo with the fine white hairs coming off of it.

Our new torch coral died and, shortly after, this pink lump appeared on its empty skeleton. It has slowly grown in size and slowly moves around the span of about an inch while sticking those slimy white hair like things around itself. The "hairs" aren't constant and seem be like random slimy strings that look a little different each day. It is about 1/2 -3/4 inch in size and roughly circular.

Any clues? thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_20151029_195643.jpg
    IMG_20151029_195643.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 0
You should repost this in the Invertebrates forum, you'll get better replies.

I got nuthin', the multiple hairs are throwing me off. Sea cucumber? Sea slug or nudi at an odd angle? Is it squishy? (Don't touch with your hand obviously)

I'd pull the coral skeleton with Mr Pink Punk Hair and stick it in your fuge until you get a better id; it may be a coral eater. I hope it's harmless, it's a neat looking critter.

not much help
ivy

I have a blue/green sponge that was just a bit bigger that did fine threads like that. It has the 'spiky' look that your's has too. At the ends really small balls developed and were released, then the threads went away. I still have it and it's still quite small.

Back