Can anyone identify this snail?

Dalmerjd

Premium Member
Premium Member
I was told these are bad. I removed it from my display. Anyone know what it's called? I was told they kill other snails, is that true?
208338DSC01661-1.JPG

I don't think its a cone shell. Their shells are long and smooth. It would be best for you to post in the "other invertebrates" forum so that Don could help you out, though a better image of the shell will probably be needed.

Almost looks like a whelk of some sort. If so, it's most likely carnivorous. If you have a fuge or sump, put him there until you can ID him.

I thought fighting conchs couldn't/wouldn't climb on rocks, much less up glass? I would stick w/ whatever Don IDs this as over in "other inverts" -- thanks for posting over there.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15450780#post15450780 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BPKlein
I say it's a Super Tongan Nassarius Snail, which are good. I have 5 and wish I had more.

No offense man..... but no way in H*ll lol. It's some kind of whelk, and I would bet on a Predatory one at that.

Here's what a super tongan nassarius looks like. If yours doesn't look like this, you very likely have something else:

p-89294-snail.jpg

Tonga_Nassarius_Snail_ps.jpg

The shells can also be white, with a very subtle shade of blue/grey.

My fighting conchs lift themselves to move forward. They never glide along like a typical snail. The fighting conch also has a foot like appendage on the right side of it's body that has a long finger nail looking material attached. This animal does not appear to have that. I take back my opinion that this is a fighting conch.

The shell on the OP pictures (well the 2nd and 3rd one) looks more like one of the conchs you find in the ocean...the shell on fasteddie's post looks almost exactly like one I plucked from my display and put into my fuge...three days later, I decided to put one of my astrea's in the fuge as well and the next day, saw that sucker embedded in my astreas shell...

I think what the OP has is a "conch"

Back