Can I Build a Good LED for a 100g on A $400 Budget

I am thinking running 90 or so for this build some have mentioned 120 is too much.

Also I bought 60 and 40 optics incase I need them for the ends that was my thinking.

Any recommendations on total LEDs to run if i run just 4 drivers also what configuration with the blue / 2 types of white / Violet Actinics and reds.

I am thinking using the 5th driver and spare led and lenses on my 29g biocube...

www.aquastyleonline.com many people on RC recommended them and told me I would get good growth out of the Bridgelux LEDs I wanted Cree but same build would of been a whole lot more. This info I got was from people that have run these LEDs some for well over a year. auqastyle was recommended by many. Matter of fact they emailed me already have it ready to ship. I suspect monday it will ship DHL

I have almost the exact same setup as you ordered from aquastyle.I just got 72 led setup then added 12 violets later.

I love the look and growth of my corals and they all seem very happy after 4-5 months

www.aquastyleonline.com many people on RC recommended them and told me I would get good growth out of the Bridgelux LEDs I wanted Cree but same build would of been a whole lot more. This info I got was from people that have run these LEDs some for well over a year. auqastyle was recommended by many. Matter of fact they emailed me already have it ready to ship. I suspect monday it will ship DHL

Oops this post was for local fish club LOL

Ok what do you guys think about this arrangment of LEDs this is based on 24Leds per 48" section staggered total of 4 24 led sections.

Each Section would have 12 Blues 5 10k White 4 6500k White and 3 Actinics
I also ordered 6 reds but have no idea how i would work those in and even if they would need added at all?

ScreenShot2012-08-25at53313PM.png

I have 72 aquastyle LEDs on my 105 and they are sweet. Things are happy, things are growing, and the tank looks great. They're only at about 50% power too. They're legit LEDs, don't worry about people saying you have to use CREE, most fixtures are way overpowered anyways.

IMG_1608%20%28Custom%29.JPG

Hey rrasco
can you tell me how you arranged your leds what colors in what position. Also my previous post has a pic of proposed layout what do you think?

so into this thread. settings up a 55 standard reef. if i have a question or 2 going forward can you guys help? i saw these guys aquastyle a few week back and really like the prices, im just not a electrician, easy enough to do?

Hey rrasco
can you tell me how you arranged your leds what colors in what position. Also my previous post has a pic of proposed layout what do you think?

Here you go. This was designed for a 210, but when I switched to a 4' tank I only needed two fixtures instead of three.

I'll have to take a look at your proposed layout later, I gotta run right now.

array-config-2.jpg

IMG_0483_sm.jpg

rrasco are you from motown?

I wish. A lot of my family is. Just a die hard Wings fan in Texas.

Ok what do you guys think about this arrangment of LEDs this is based on 24Leds per 48" section staggered total of 4 24 led sections.

Each Section would have 12 Blues 5 10k White 4 6500k White and 3 Actinics
I also ordered 6 reds but have no idea how i would work those in and even if they would need added at all?

ScreenShot2012-08-25at53313PM.png

I would do blues two in a row to take them out of the straight line they are currently in.

Would that not be a wiring night mare i want to create a effect like i have now actinics come on then highnoon lights later I think I need blues on one driver whites on another to creat a sunrise sunset effect. Am I correct or will this be done just with the intensity of the LEDs

Sunrise/sunset is going to be done with dimming via whatever controller you use.

You are only using two aluminum channels right? It wouldn't be too hard to stagger the LEDs and wire them that way, since they would be on the same 'heatsink'. My fixtures were somewhat of a pain to wire, but it was worth it.

Okay, so two of what you posted above. I was just saying since the blue/white will be on the same channel, it won't be that bad to wire up.

I spent 457 and some change at aquastyle so I amover budget I still need to order aluminum channel and possibly fans what your guys opinion on fans. I figure I am still in need of another $150 to invest to complete build

please start reading up on setting up leds in parallel now, before your lights come. those drivers you selected max out at about 12 less per unless you do a parallel setup, that's 12 leds per string for a max of 24 leds per diver.
assuming you setup 120 leds on this build.

this is why i just went with the maxwellen drivers as they handle 20 leds max per driver with no issue and no messing around with meters.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1952442&highlight=diy+led

I will agree the ELN 60-48 is a 1.3 Amp Driver. If your running the Bridglux LED's that is way to much power for them to handle as you would running them at over 5 Watts each. You need to run them in two balanced strings with each getting 650 ma. The bridglux run at roughly 3.3 Volts at 650 ma so you getting about 2 .15 Watts out of each LED. With a max voltage output of 48 volts on this driver it means you can only run 14 on each string for a total of 28 on each driver.

I use LPF60-54 on my Cree Chips normaly but with the Bridglux 700ma chips I would run the HLG 40-54 which would allow you to run if per driver on one string.

Back