Can I build a High amp to attach the Profilux device?

kidney514

Premium Member
I have been thinking about the High Amp problem with our MH and since I have 3 MH I would require to buy 2 High amp. Which is the right thing to do to save the life of a very expensive Digital Powerbar.

With the 1-10 v control interface I was wondering if Mathias would mind If would build my own High amp device from that interface?

Once a 10v signal is sent to the relay, 110v from a wall receptacle would feed the MH.

I mean it's fairly simple, and doesn't require much hardware for A DIY project.

list of item to do the job is:
1 RJ45 jack
1 6-24v/120V 15 amp relay
2 wall plug.

It sound too simple, does anyone have any input?

Last edited:
Sadly we have seen too many attempts at third party or DIY builds, from memory every one ended up in taking the ProfiLux out to lunch

if you did this we would not cover your warranty.

GHL also for obvious reasons will not release pin out details of their interface ports

For the cost of the bits and everything else associated with it, the risk for outways the relative affordable price of a fully certified GHL devise.

I expected the warranty to be voided and I completly understand, but structure of it now, make me loose 3 socket, to which I will be sort on soon.

1 socket lost on the PB
1 Wall socket
1 Socket lost on the High Amp one

Ok then are you guys going to make one that is 1-10V driven to loose less socket?

The 1-10V socket has no part to play in socket switching.

The switching sockets "S" sockets are the ones that drive the power bars.

I do not see where you are losing sockets, infact with the HIGH AMP bar you gain a socket all be it that it switches together.

What you can do is use S5-S8 and put an anlogue bar on this line and feed your HIGH AMPS off of this thus keeping your digital free for other functions.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12273128#post12273128 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AQD_ottawa
The 1-10V socket has no part to play in socket switching.
If I understand the L port are sending voltage between 1-10V.
I would send a voltage too the coil relay it would activate a 110V feed.

Ok to be clear, GHL will not release the pins outs, I have just spoken directly with them.

But some important news.

All NEW digital power bars that we ship will have relays with a switching current capability of 200 AMPS

The total current load still cannot exceed 15amps in total sum.

The HIGH AMP bar still will have its useage even with the new power bars. For example if you have a total load of 13amps on your digital bar but wish to add another high ampage devise, then you can utilise the HIGH AMP extension that can draw its load from a seperate power spur.

Also if you have two or more daisy chained power bars, providing plugged into diffferent wall spurs you have 2 x 15amps continual load capabilities.

I think now with this upgrade and also the utilisation of the HIGH AMP bars all angles are now covered in full with absolute no loss in sockets.

So to clarify

ALL new power bars will be able to switch (strike, surge) 200amps max
ALL power bars will have a MAx total load of no more than 15amps
If you have devises that will draw HIGH AMPS it is recommended to use the HIGH AMP extension bar to spread the load across the house hold power ring main.

So example

You have 3 MH at 400W all on one power bar that a load of 10 amps
You then have a 300W heater total load 2.5 amps
Chiller at 400W total load 3.3 Amps

You have already gone over the 15 amps

What to do?

Use two HIGH AMP extensions and devide the load by 3 across your ring main, giving you plenty of spare ampage left on the digital bar for other devises.

From now on using the new power bars you can switch high loads providing you do not exceed total curent permenant draw of 15amps. BUT use the HIGH AMPS to spread the load when your total draw on one power bar is getting close to 15 AMPS.

I hope this is now clear

I understood the diff between continuous load and striking load. That why I was trying to build a device that would aleviate the striking charge on the DIgital PB.

New power bars will tolerate this high in rush.

But what is important and more so in reality and where the HIGH AMP bar come into play is that you must be aware of the total load on your power bar and if getting close to 15 amps and I mean around 13 amps load then please spread this load with the use of a HIGh AMP extension.

These HIGH AMP extensions are really important and still should be used for all lighting to make sure there is enough continual load availability left on the digital bar for other devises such as heaters and pumps.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12273589#post12273589 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AQD_ottawa
New power bars will tolerate this high in rush. .....

....Next week. .....

Dang, I just got mine last week.

It does not effect you as for house hold wiring safety and to give the digital power bar more flexibility all HIGh amp devises should be on HIGH AMP socket extensions

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12274027#post12274027 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AQD_ottawa
It does not effect you as for house hold wiring safety and to give the digital power bar more flexibility all HIGh amp devises should be on HIGH AMP socket extensions

Yes, it will be nice for the added flexibility.

I'm already using 6 outlets and both my L1/L2, L3/L4 sockets

So I gues I'll need to order more before I can add anything else to be controlled.

Look at what you wish to achieve, look at getting the EX expansion card this comes with L5L6 as standard and also salinity and redox and also a third level port.

Much more cost effective upgrade

Yes I was planning on getting the EX expansion but with the recent price jump I'll hold off till I really need it.

For now I'm set untill I desiede to add more.

Side note a Fully solid state switching unit would be nice for wave maker etc, Though I realize the Tunze capibilities are better.

Nothing sucks at all. Having high surge rated relays only protects those who choose not to use the HIGH AMP bars which as I have said above is most important in spreading the loads, in fact far more important than high in rush protection.

Having high rated relays in no way takes away the importance of the useage of the HIGH AMP expansion to spread the load as stated above and before. All it does is stop the future calls of stuck relays when a user choose not to follow our imprtant advise that is not only relevant to the GHL controller but any other controller on the market also.

To clarify, the main reason for the HIGH AMP is to spread the power draw across more than one circuit. Just because you have lower rated relays does not take away this most important factor.

GHL has corrected me also in informing me that on and that my past few shipments the power bars would have had 200amps already fitted I only found this out today.

Please do not see this as an excuse to not use a high amp, calculate your load accurately and judge accordingly. The bottom line is if you are using MH lighting or high rated T5, please spread this load with HIGH AMP expansions

Last edited:
Back