Can I control mag drive Propeller Pump speed?

ScootsComputes

I understand basically how they work, magnetically coupled. Can you control the speed of these pumps by varying voltage? I know on expensive pumps like EcoTech you can control the speed. I'll answer my question tomorrow. My Reef Angel arrives. If I can I will do this. Varying times and flows. We will see. Comments?

I don't understand. Floor fans are ac motors and speed can be controlled with a simple potentiometer. Low med high thats all that is. I didn't know Vortecs were DC. But why would that make a difference?

There are plenty of 3 speed AC motors but they are not slowed or sped up by varying voltage. The mag pump doesn't have seperate speeds. Direct current motors vary the speed by varying voltage. Although they are expensive they are cheaper than a truly controllable AC pump. Manufacturing an AC pump that speeds up and down, not just changes from 600rpm to 1000rpm, is challenging due to the nature of alternating current. They power pumps in completely different ways. They both use magnets and that is about where the similarity ends.

Most motors for fans and such are actually DC motors. The rectify the current to DC with a diode bridge. The low, med, and high switch is run through different resistors. To change the speed of a truly AC motor you need a "VFD" Variable Frequency Drive. The VFD will change to frequency ( not the voltage) of the current. I have not seen this technology used on such a small scale.

It is far simpler to just go with DC motors.

You will not be able to control speed of any pump with reef angel controller, except for Tunze. But those are not just a $80 pump, its a system that will just use a control signal that your controller produces to slow and speed up the pump. This is done through a special port on the pump power supply/controller, not through a 120V outlet. Good luck.

The lowest I could get a return pump was around 80%, I was shooting for 50% but no luck.

I still remember an incident with a mirror ball motor when I was in high school. That motor was not much different than the motors in the AC pumps. My friends dad wanted to slow it down, so he but a potentiometer on it. I told him it wouldn't work, but I couldn't remember WHY at that instant.

He turned it on and then turned the pot to slow the motor down and it slowed right down. But just about the time he turned to tell me "See! It works just fine!" the motor burst into flames!

That was also pretty much the instant I remembered WHY you can't do that: If that type motor isn't producing enough power to keep the rotor in phase with the current (aka: turning at the nominal speed) either because the motor is overloaded or the voltage is too low, the voltage waveform and the current waveform get out of sync and windings basically act like a direct DC short.

But not for very long.

I still remember an incident with a mirror ball motor when I was in high school. That motor was not much different than the motors in the AC pumps. My friends dad wanted to slow it down, so he but a potentiometer on it. I told him it wouldn't work, but I couldn't remember WHY at that instant.

He turned it on and then turned the pot to slow the motor down and it slowed right down. But just about the time he turned to tell me "See! It works just fine!" the motor burst into flames!

That was also pretty much the instant I remembered WHY you can't do that: If that type motor isn't producing enough power to keep the rotor in phase with the current (aka: turning at the nominal speed) either because the motor is overloaded or the voltage is too low, the voltage waveform and the current waveform get out of sync and windings basically act like a direct DC short.

But not for very long.

An AC motor will use the same power regardless of the input voltage.
Power = current x voltage.

If the voltage goes down the current will go up.

As current goes up heat also goes up
Heat = current^2.

So let's just say you house had really crappy wiring and the voltage was low in you house. Your pump will heat up you tank more than it should.

An AC motor will use the same power regardless of the input voltage.
Power = current x voltage.

If the voltage goes down the current will go up.

And the windings REALLY don't like trying to carry 4X the current when you have dropped the voltage by 4. Not for long at any rate.

Back