Can I glue together threaded NPT fittings?

LouH

LouH
I have a George Fischer ball valve with unions on each side. However, they are female threaded. Can I simply glue in a male threaded fitting to make it a permenant connection? My pluming layout is pretty much figured out, so I don't want threaded fittings anymore.

Lou

only problem i see is the glue start to dry fast, so you might not get the amount of turns you need to make your plumbing fit the way it did prior to gluing, which means that you may have to reconfigure the rest of the plumbing. you also run the risk of it stopping in the wrong direction and your valve facing the wrong direction.

you should be fine, just work quickly. have everything ready to go so as soon as you hit the cement to the pipe, start threading.

Don't attempt to glue them. Either get male fitting and thread them in or get a glue in style valve. It's going to be impossible to thread that completely on without it hardening before tight or meltin the threads off and either way is probably going to leak.

Lou - You will be fine gluing them together, I done this several times without a hitch. If I had one more thing to add that will help; Be sure to put glue on both the female and the male fittings. The extra glue will give you a few extra seconds to get things perfect.

why glue?

why glue?

Personally, I'd use teflon tape....you can make turn revolutions w/out worrying about being the wrong direction in the end.
It's more forgiving.
I used it on all my plastic threads...no issue(s).

Just wrap it a few extra times...make it nice-n-thick.

Personally, I'd use teflon tape....you can make turn revolutions w/out worrying about being the wrong direction in the end.
It's more forgiving.
I used it on all my plastic threads...no issue(s).

Just wrap it a few extra times...make it nice-n-thick.

+1, you can probably glue them without a problem, but...why? BTW, teflon does not need to be thick, 3-4 wraps is plenty to get a good seal, more is not better.

more wraps..

more wraps..

Not that it's "better"...just faster to get a tight seal allowing more tightening possibilites w/out bottoming out the fitting....

Back