Can I keep a mantis shrimp and a pair of black clowns in a 10gal nano?

T-Boner

I'm setting up a 10 gal nano with black sand. I have two small clowns that I was going to keep them in till the get big enough to go in the 180. The tank was really for a mantis shrimp just wondering what type I can keep in that small of a tank an also will they mess with any fish? Here is the tank they are going in!

73b6f7b3.jpg

Rule 1# of keeping mantis and fish. "Don't keep a fish with a mantis unless you are willing to loose the fish."
There is no mantis that is guaranteed not to mess with your fish. Somethign like an N.wennera is less likely to do it than say a G.ternatensis, and a well fed mantis is less likely to do it than a hungry mantis. But there isn't a species I would definately say will leave your fish alone.

As for what to keep. N.wennera is a great choice and one that is easy to find. Tampabaysaltwater sells them for $50 and that includes overnight shipping. Probably the best deal you will find, and the mantis is a great species to keep.

Wow that's good info thankx!!!! Well looks like mantis only then I'm going to check out tampabay.

i have a peacock that will nab damsels at night its crazy, but good point if u dont mind potentially losing the fish dont put them in, i would try with some cheap damsels or mollies first if they last a few months i would try it...but thats me

Back