Can I use this for co2 line?

backyardspecial

I have some tubing here that is supposed to be co2 resistant, according to my LFS. Can anyone confirm this? I've only seen the solid black one that everyone uses.
IMG_1138.jpg

It does look like a legit CO2 tubing. I'm not familiar with that brand though

Thanks, for the response. Can you tell me what makes the tube legit? Is there something to look for or a certain feel to the tube? In other words is there a way to tell if it is co2 resistant?

Co2 tubing are made of silicone, which is soft and stretchable like a rubber band. (Regular airline hoses are NOT stretchable like rubber bands!) I have a Planted FW tank and I deal with CO2 a lot. the majority of silicone tubing are colored (black, blue, green) that's why I think your tubing is 'legit'.

A quick Google search also confirmed that yours is indeed Silicone.

...silicone tubing is NOT CO2 tubing. Each foot leaks up to 6% of your CO2. It's rather pretty horrible CO2 tubing.

What you want is polyurethane tubing. Or heck, even vinyl tubing will leak less CO2 than silicone tubing.

Polyurethane is good but this is not what he has..

Vinyl is ok, but gets stiff and brittle after some time.

Silicone tubing works perfectly if used under little pressure (ie. short run from the needle valve to a diffuser) It does have high loss, but is negligible at very short runs.

Last edited:
Back