Can Inverts and Corals carry ich?

Reefer2727

I have some shrimps and a few corals coming and I was wondering what the best way to introduce them to my DT.

I dont see the need to QT corals or inverts but are there any steps I cant take during acclimation to avoid bringing something into my DT?

I know not to put any of the water from the LFS store in my tank. Should I be doing some sort of dip or something on the corals? I have a product called Coral Revive...would this be recommended? Also, the coral may be attached to some rock. Should I scrub the rock? Does a freshwater dip harm corals?

As for the shrimp, I was just going to acclimate them with a drip and them put them in. Any other suggestions?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

if you dont have any fish in the md now you could just wait 6-8 weeks before adding any,,,this will starve any ich to death

the inverts and coral don't carry ich actively, as they aren't hosts BUT, nothing saying that one couldnt drop onto a sessile object and hitch elsewhere, or be in the water that goes with it...

Whether you QT a coral or invert they are not going to show ich anyway? They could easily be a carrier after the QT period. Is this correct or am I off?

they could, but odds are if your fish are healthy, they'll fight off a couple of ich easily. The risk is having a weakened fish enter your system and "breed" the ich on itself to a level the other fish wont be able to manage it. I wouldn't worry much about corals brining it to your tank, but if you really want to keep your tank ich free you can do preventative treatments on new fishes and QT your corals in a fishless tank for a while

Unless you have a QT setup with sufficient lighting to house the coral for 4-6 weeks, I would dip corals in an iodine solution, rinse and add them to the DT. As for shrimps and other inverts, I rinse them in saltwater (put the invert in a net and pour saltwater over them) and add them.

Whether you QT a coral or invert they are not going to show ich anyway? They could easily be a carrier after the QT period. Is this correct or am I off?

You are correct. The point of the coral QT is to give time for the ich to die off. I don't know anyone that will QT a coral for long enough though.

Back