can snails from the beach be snails for the aquarium

firstsalt

im just wondering i guessing that unless i lived down south and not in new york this would work but i live up north just hoping and wondering

I live in alabama and I collect snails about once a month to use, I have a small tank for letting them grow up so they dont get eaten by other things in my main tank.

I live on long island, and my brother has actually collected and used mub snails with some success, they tend to stay on the sand bed, which can actaully be good if thats what you need.

exactly what i need what side does he live on north or south cause i live in westchester i maybe could see him across the water

Depending on the species of snail you may be safe to add them. Post pics for an ID or do some research. I have added several things I have collected from the local beaches here in florida but up North is a whole new ball game for me...

I'm with everyone else, I doubt snails from NY would like that long in our tanks. However, they say mexican turbo snails are from colder waters and don't live long in our tanks, but i've had mine for around a year now.

so far the local mud snails are going on 8 months and still kicking, and the local hermits are cleaning machines in the sandbed and show no signs of slowing down.

Keep in mind that adding wild livestock to your tank can cause a whole bunch of problems besides the snail in question kicking the bucket. For instance, it's a great way to introduce unknown pests.

Also, depending on where you live, there may or may not be fairly strict and well-enforced regulations on the collection of wildlife.

Not trying to deter you, but just hoping that you'll do this with eyes wide open.

ihad a snail problem in freshwater but im just wondering how they become pest in saltwater because i am not keeping any macro algae

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15484656#post15484656 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by der_wille_zur_macht
Keep in mind that adding wild livestock to your tank can cause a whole bunch of problems besides the snail in question kicking the bucket. For instance, it's a great way to introduce unknown pests.

Also, depending on where you live, there may or may not be fairly strict and well-enforced regulations on the collection of wildlife.

Not trying to deter you, but just hoping that you'll do this with eyes wide open.

I agree, although Ive had some success, it is a risk that something may like the taste of coral or your other inverts.

lol
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15485061#post15485061 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by username in use
I agree, although Ive had some success, it is a risk that something may like the taste of coral or your other inverts.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15485107#post15485107 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by firstsalt
i cant find anything about not taking anything off the beach

If you find them on the beach at the waters edge they're probably an intertidal species that needs heavy wave flow and periods out of the water. When I first got into the hobby several vendors were selling intertidal snails. They didn't last long because they'd crawl out of the tank. I stepped on several as they slimed their way across my floor before I wised up.

watch out for whelks: they're often bad citizens for a small tank, re your other inverts, except for Nassarius.

i think i picked up nassarius snails at the beach and some hermit crabs that are freackin out from my nem

Back