can someone ID this?

tbundy

i got some LR a few weeks ago and noticed a white gooey patch. Today i noticed it turned pinkish and it spread to another rock. there is also a neon green stuff that is similar. here is some pics to help. the green stuff is directly above the pink stuff in the coraline.
HPIM0098.jpg

HPIM0097.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12233078#post12233078 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by D to the P
Maybe a sponge...good job on the pics though, very clear.
LOL it took me about 20 minutes and about 100 pics to finally get a few worth posting. These were taken in pitch black.

I am not familiar with sponges. Are they bad?or beneficial?

they aren't bad, usually. They are filter feeders that usually don't get the special care that they need, so they die. They need a lot of suspended particles in the water column to be able to get enough food for themselves. A lot of times they come in on live rock and usually just melt away, but there are a few species that will make it in the ree aquarium. I remember I had an orange one that came with my liverock that lasted for a little over a year. They are non photosynthetic, they just filter feed, but I wouldn't go out of my way to try and keep it alive. If it likes where its at it'll grow and live, if not, you'll get some extra ammonia for some small amount of time, judging by the size of it. But we are not 100% sure that its a sponge, it just looks like it might be. I would wait for some more opinions first, or take this to the invert or reef disscusion forums to see if anyone there can make a postive ID. That way you don't kill something for no reason.

Sponge.. Good. Don't worry. They are they type that you want in there. They wi;ll multiply

Sponges like that will bother coral. IF you want a reef tank then remove them.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12233250#post12233250 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bygkid
Sponge.. Good. Don't worry. They are they type that you want in there. They wi;ll multiply

How do you mean they will bother the coral? Is it chemical warfare I've read about? I have a ton of sponges in my live rock and it's growing quite quickly and my chili coral isn't doing so hot right now.

Suzi

MB if larger enough.My experiance is with one ive been battling for awile.And it grew under my nice green mushrooms and killed off two,I weeded back twice thinking i got it all each time and its ready to get the last mushroom. If you want a great reef tank then you want as much control possible and most sponges take this away. They arent needed.

Hmmm my green shrooms have looked like you know what lately. I noticed something looking like that under one big one? How did you remove them? why are they bad? how do they affect the shrooms?
Mine the same color as the shrooms and I was thinking it was the foot ant the shroom was walking. Now I'm not so sure?
Sorry for all the questions.

The reef is all about survival of the strongest.Its hard to tell who has a better advantage so removeing any unknown un-needed critters should be removed.With sponges if bothered in the tank can release a toxin so removeing the rock and scraping off with some fresh water dips is best.

Back