Can this be fixed?

tnorthern

Or I guess a better question would be can I put a band aid on this for now? I know the proper way to fix it is to replace the side panel but can I put a short term fix on this with a couple pieces of glass siliconed in place? There is almost no pressure on the pane because it is the return section of the sump, on the other hand it seems silly to risk the pane breaking while I am gone and draining my tank. Any opinions?

IMAG0460.jpg

Or I guess a better question would be can I put a band aid on this for now? I know the proper way to fix it is to replace the side panel but can I put a short term fix on this with a couple pieces of glass siliconed in place? There is almost no pressure on the pane because it is the return section of the sump, on the other hand it seems silly to risk the pane breaking while I am gone and draining my tank. Any opinions?

View attachment 203391

I personally wouldnt take the risk, but I dont see why you couldnt silicone a piece of glass with another hole in it, wouldnt do anything for strength but might block seepage.

I would not trust that end of the aquarium now. The pressure that will be on that pane of glass will allow the crack to propagate and that end will fail. Even if you put a patch on it you are running a huge risk. I would replace the pane before you fill the tank but that just my opinion.

as mentioned above - the crack will spread, regardless of wheter or not you patch it. I would not trust that for a second if it were mine, but then, I like to sleep at night.

You can stop a crack from propagating by drilling a small hole at the end of the crack. Then you still need to patch it.

Back