Can you have to big a skimmer?

Giga

I was think about getting the Octopus DNW-150 for my tank BUT my tank is 33 and a 20 gallon sharing a 20 gallon sump. The 33 is going to be SPS n fish and the 20 gallon is a peacock mantis tank. Can I do more harm then good if I skimm to much, becuase that skimmer is rated for up to 180gallons?

I feel skimmers are over rated, (a skimmer rated for 180 gal. works well on a 90)
I use a G-2 with 80 gal. total water volume..
I think that skimmer would be fine for that volume too.
my .02

Not to hijack, but along the same lines...I agree products (for everything) are overrated. I have Top Fathom 500 skimmer (rated for 500g.) and a 100 gallon tank. I had planned on chopping the skimmer to downsize, but I’ve since changed my mind. I figured it’s a bit older technology and I will get a bigger tank some day. So, is this skimmer too big?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14139424#post14139424 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefermike1
as long as the skimmers water volume isnt more than the tank its skimming id say youre good;)

So a volcano on a nano is a bad idea?

:lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14139646#post14139646 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by J.russell
So a volcano on a nano is a bad idea?

:lol:

a volcano is never a good idea.

read the volcano club thread ;)

Back