Can you run an external pump without a drilled sump?

pontiac2002gtp

The title says it all. I have a submersible pump now but would like to go external didn't know if i could just drop a line in the water or if i had to have a bulkhead. Thanks for your help.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12209815#post12209815 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by johnnyblaze313
i run my skimmer pump externally with no problems. I used 45's to make all my bends

So you went over the top of the sump? Got pics? Do you have to prime it when you start it up?

Well its ghetto fab atm but here you go. I had the pump on the floor last week i wanted to see if it ran better with less pvc, didnt notice to much of a diffrence. Think im gonna stick with it being elevated and mount the pump to the wall.

SSPX0104.jpg

Hmmm im needing around 1000 gph and it would have to restart if the power surged like it does all the time here the pump i have now is a sedra and it doesn't like to restart if we have a power outage i have to reach in and shake the pump to get it to take off. What if i run the line up and over like a u tube that would keep the pump below water level? Or i could drill a baffle maybe i just don't want to crack my sump trying to drill it cause i have to take the tank off the stand to change the sump out.

My PanWorld pumps intake goes over the top of the sump. It is mounted lower than water level and I do not have to prime it. It restarts fine every time.

Back