Cane sugar works?

Megatrev62

Hello, just wanted to mention that Ive been dosing cane sugar for the last number of weeks and nitrates went from off scale to 20ppm. The dosing regimen was 1/4tsp. three times a week. Ofcourse will monitor and see what happens over the days and weeks to come. Can only attribute the results due to dosing. No ill effects to any inhabitants.

125 gallon with 120lbs. give or take of live rock. 2 false percs, 2 purple firefish, 6 chromis, 1 lawnmower blenny and 1 male blue throat trigger. Tank has been running since mid Sept. with all cured rock from existing systems. Aqua c pro with chemi-pure in xp3 canister. Water is crystal. Going sump in the very near future. Thanks

I just started tonight with 1/4 tsp- please post if you see any ill effects- also what is your water change schedule?

I know this probably sounds stupid, but what brand of sugar are you using? And is it important that you use just the "pure cane sugar"? Are there several differnt types of sugars? The reasons I ask - I've been having issues with Nitrates for sometime now and have not been able to get them down regardless of what I do. I've been reading and considering the carbon dosing for a while, but I don't want to use vodka in my tank. Thanks for your help :wave:

In general, I think folks might be better off dosing vodka and/or vinegar as opposed to sugar. I've seen more undesirable results long term from folks using sugar than these other two. Things like browning of corals and unsightly bacteria in the display tank. There are loads of threads relating to choice of organic carbon to dose in the chemistry forum.

I personally prefer mostly vinegar (saturated with lime), since it leads to less cyano in my tank than vodka.

In general, I think folks might be better off dosing vodka and/or vinegar as opposed to sugar. I've seen more undesirable results long term from folks using sugar than these other two. Things like browning of corals and unsightly bacteria in the display tank. There are loads of threads relating to choice of organic carbon to dose in the chemistry forum.

I personally prefer mostly vinegar (saturated with lime), since it leads to less cyano in my tank than vodka.

I've read several of these forums/threads/articles - and I don't remember any that were specific to just vinegar dosing. I've tried to start slow (10 ml mixed with RO every other day) with vinegar and got a problem with canyo (I think). So I backed off. I'm not real smart when it comes to chemistry. So all these threads help me and cause me some confusion (my fault I'm sure). But I'm still having major issues with nitrates - according to my API test kit - in excess of 100 ppm (two seperate test kits). I've got a 120 gal display with a 65 gal sump. I've got cheato and sand and rock in my fuge. The cheato stays green, but never seems to grow. I've got a spiral CF bulb on the fuge. I run a TLF reactor with GFO. My bioload is small - at least I think it is low. 8 fish, few softies and two anemones. I've tried to add some sps, but dies very rapidly. I'm trying to get control of my nitrates, but it is getting very frustrating. Sorry, I really did not intend to hijack this thread.

Randy, I really appreciate all that you do for this website and I'm sure you get irritated at chemistry dumbies like me. But thanks for your input. :(

according to my API test kit - in excess of 100 ppm (two seperate test kits). I've got a 120 gal display with a 65 gal sump. I've got cheato and sand and rock in my fuge. The cheato stays green, but never seems to grow. I've got a spiral CF bulb on the fuge. I run a TLF reactor with GFO.

Regardless of the organic type dosed, if you take out all the phosphate with GFO, you may be unable to get bacteria to reduce nitrate since they need both. I do not know if that is the problem, or just not dosing enough, but some folks have observed that.

There are several current threads relating to vinegar dosing in the chemistry forum. :)

I've tried to start slow (10 ml mixed with RO every other day) with vinegar and got a problem with canyo (I think).

All of the carbon dosing strategies have the potential to increase cyano, if the cyano species present in the tank can use the type of carbon being dosed. If one carbon type does not work well, switching to another may work better. :)

Regardless of the organic type dosed, if you take out all the phosphate with GFO, you may be unable to get bacteria to reduce nitrate since they need both. I do not know if that is the problem, or just not dosing enough, but some folks have observed that.

Oh really!!!! I really appreciate you helping me out with that - Randy. My Phosphate readings have been at zero for several months now and I thought that was one battle down. See, I am not good at all with the chemistry. I thought I was doing good with the zero phosphates. I guess I will try to remove the TLF w/GFO for a little while and see if I can lower the nitrates with a little help from the phosphates? That's one thing I really love about this hobby - there is always something else to learn. :spin3:

I will also check out the Chemistry forum and search for the vinegar specific additions - Thanks again - If it weren't for great guys like you Randy I would have quit a long time a go.

Back