Canister Filter & High Nitrates

I dont have the $ right now to buy a sump, refugium, all the plumbing that goes along with it, pumps, etc.

You can make a sump out of a 29 gallon glass tank (currently $29 at Petco).

You don't need to buy any pumps. Use the canister filters as the return pump(s). No return plumbing required since you're using your existing hoses/nozzles.

You will have to buy a hang-on-the-back overflow box since your tank probably isn't drilled, but that's it for now. The overflow drain tube can feed into a filter sock, suspended in the sump by some PVC pipe. Swap out the filter socks every 2-3 days and wash them with a hose and/or washing machine with a cup of bleach. Sun dry for a day or two.

All of this should cost around $100... not too bad I think. Eliminating the detritus traps in your canisters should partially remedy the problem. You can further fix the problem by getting a good in-sump skimmer, like the Reef Octopus NWB150, which should be good for your 65g tank and will fit nicely in a 29 gallon sump. Combined with vinegar/vodka dosing, you should be able to get your nitrates and phosphates down to near-zero amounts (carbon dosing requires a good skimmer to be effective, but is very easy to do).

No, lack of maintenance always fails. That is the hardest part about canisters, hob filters are easier to maintain.

Amen to that. Properly maintained, used as designed, cannisters filters will work for FOWLR. It's when maintenance is lacking, or jiggered up like removing the filter sponges or the biomedia as has been suggested, that's when they fail. Sump systems are easier to maintain, less chances of screwing it up.

I see an easy fix for your tank... empty the cans and use them for flow and chemical filtration. Buy a good HOB skimmer to remove waste. I dont use a sump on my 600 FOWLR because I dont need one. I have a big skimmer, a lot of LR and great flow... nitrates stay around 20/30. I use two canister filters (FX5s) but because there is nothing in them they dont need to be cleaned every week.

stlcard- no ranting at all thanks a bunch for the info.

I 100% agree with you about the ribbed tubes on the filters. I cleaned my canister out today and when I started it back up it shot so much gunk into the tank. I think tomorrow I am going to clean those out tomorrow.

Any tips on how to clean them out mine is about 3 1/2 foot long

i always used hot water from the faucet or in the bath tub. Hot water seemd to clear alot of it. Not saying it got it all, but when you dont have access to a 3 foot pipe cleaner, it works... to a certain degree. Id flush the hoses in both directions just to make sure i got most of it.

Back