Canister Filter used to hold carbon?

BenH98

I have a canister filter that has been running in my tank for about 6 months... I've been reading that these are just "Nitrate factories" and they should be used to hold carbon.
my questions..
Can I just take out the media in there now and simply put the carbon in, in one session? or should I slowly take out the media and add carbon?

what is a good brand of carbon to use?

I run carbon in mine 24/7. The consenses seems to be Black Diamond brand. Wal-Mart sells it cheap under a different name but its made by Black Diamond.

And yes you can change it out all at one time.

It really depends on multiple factors such as do you have live rock, sand(or gravel) on the bottom, bio load, tank decorations etc. The bottom line is you need to make sure it isn't your only resourse for converting ammonia and nitrite to nitrate. I would think after 6 months you would be OK but I don't know the other details of your tank.

I have about 25 lbs of LR, a 1.5" sand bed, if you want I could list my bio load - here's the short version - 3 fish, 2 bta's, 2 small sps, a few leathers, ricordias, zoos, 1 brain, mushrooms, clean-up crew. I also run my Coralife Superskimmer 65...

What is the stuff at Wal-Mart called? Is it really the same?

I cant remember the name off the top of my head. If no one replys, I'll tell you tommorrow.

And yes it is made by Black Diamond :)

Sorry I didn't finish my thought. I would think thats enough surface area for a biofilter to go head and switch. I would agree you can change it all at once. I suspect the carbon will eventually also act like a biofilter also as it will colonize with bacteria just like your other media did.

Back