Canopy or no canopy??

luz_blue

Okay, so I bought a custom ELOS tank setup from a guy & spent the last couple weekends refinishing the stand. Now I have a dilemma over whether to keep the canopy or not.

Option 1: Existing canopy with 250W halide + 2 x 34W VHO.

Option 2: No canopy w/ 24" vertex illumina

What's your vote?

Attachments

• canopy.jpg
    canopy.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 0
  • rimless.jpg
    rimless.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0

luz_blue

Yeah, the canopy has a vented top and the reflector has a heat outlet for a 4" fan to run on. I live in Vancouver, Canada so heat isn't a huge concern except for a couple months in the summer.

STEELERFAN747

(jmo) Looks better with the canopy but you need to make sure you could keep the temp down. How high is the canopy and is it completely closed or does it have ventilation?

Reefing Newbie

I say with the canopy, but would it be possible for you to go with LEDs? They would run much cooler and probably won't need to worry about them overheating your tank...

Anthrax15

I've gone from canopy with a 250w MH w/ PCs and a Tek 4bulb but now went topless. Looks much nicer and makes the tank look bigger in a sense. Only thing I dont like is the glare from the light but it makes the tank feel much more open.

luz_blue

I don't think I'll have too much trouble keeping the temp down. My place stays pretty cool even in the summer & the canopy does have a "grate" on top to let the heat out. I'll also run a fan through there just to be sure. I'm surprised I didn't get much grief for putting a canopy on a rimless ELOS tank ...

NatureNerd

My reef is in an area of the home we all use. The glare from my old MH lights would have been too annoying, so I have a canopy that looks almost exactly like the one shown. I really like having it.

Now that I use LED's, heat is not an issue. Before, I used two ultra-quiet 5" fans in push/pull configuration to remove the heat from the canopy. So if heat is not an issue, my vote is for the canopy.

Last edited:

Palting

Canopy.

I have an easy chair/recliner by my tank. The glare from the MH lights is too distracting, not to mention painful to the eye, without a canopy. And I only have 150 watt lights.

Bnortz

well said

well said

My reef is in an area of the home we all use. The glare from my old MH lights would have been too annoying, so I have a canopy that looks almost exactly like the one shown. I really like having it.

Now that I use LED's, heat is not an issue. Before, I used two ultra-quiet 5" fans in push/pull configuration to remove the heat from the canopy. So if heat is not an issue, my vote is for the canopy.

Bnortz

well said

my2girls

Premium Member
I've done both myself too. I find it much easier to work on the tank without the canopy.

However, hanging lights is a pain in the arse for me.

It kinda is a crime to put a canopy on a rimless tank. I know, I'm no help.

myram

#347, 19 years
Canopy looks better to me. It also "contains" the light and keeps it from lighting up the entire room.

Steve

RotaryGeek

I have had both canopy and no canopy and I actually like the canopy more. As long as it perfectly matches the stand and you can control the heat then that's what I prefer.